[How-To] Lathe chatter

As you can see from the responses, a lot of things can affect the bore on a lathe so we really need to know more about your set up and pics would really help. As I think on your posts, these things crossed my mind:
  • What is the set up? You mentioned a mounting plate and torque plate so I am assuming your mounting plate is somehow mounted to the spindle and the cylinder head is mounted to that. The torque plate is then tightened down to simulate conditions under load and then you need to bore it, right? What is the size and depth of the bore?
  • Related to the size and depth of the bore, what kind and size boring bar are you using? If it uses inserts, what is the nose radius on the insert? For finishing, the nose radius matters. For accuracy, the nose radius, bar type and material, and the user really matter so, again, we need more info.
  • What kind of spindle run out do you have? This impacts on both finish and accuracy. What is the spindle diameter of your lathe? If you're trying to swing a mounting plate/head/torque plate on a 1" spindle at speed and hope for a good outcome then you may have to adjust your expectations a bit.
Your cutting conditions - feed, speed, depth of cut - are only a small part of an accurate bore with an acceptable finish. We need more info.

Can you show us a picture of the finishes you are getting? Is the cylinder mounted to the carriage or the spindle?
-Mark

Back