Lathe chuck .... Silk purse from a sow's ear

Mark_f

Registered
Registered
The 3 jaw chuck on my lathe is the original chuck, (73 years old). It was beat up badly over the years and looked bad, but still works. Depending on the grip diameter, the runout was between .004" and .010". Due to the fact I cannot afford a new chuck, I decided to repair this one. It looked so beat up, I disassembled it, cleaned everything and put the shell back together. I then turned .020" of the chuck body diameter to clean it up. The pinion gears that are turned by the chuck wrench were really beat up badly so I chucked them in an ER 40 collet and cut .040" off the face to make them pretty. Next I cleaned everything and reassembled the chuck using white lithium grease on all the gear faces.

Now the chuck looks almost new and the next trick is to make it a set true chuck.
20171107_172003_HDR.jpg
This photo shows the steel ring I turned to bolt to the outside of the chuck body.

20171107_172034_HDR.jpg
This photo shoes the chuck body and pinions machined an the ring bolted on. You can see one of the 4 1/4-20 set screws to align the chuck.

20171107_171932_HDR.jpg
The backplate has the register machined undersized and the bolt holes are over sized to allow .020" movement in any direction.
20171107_172003_HDR.jpg

20171107_171910_HDR.jpg

It may not be as great as a new chuck, but it is pretty darned good.
The only thing left to do is to counter sink the bolts for the ring for head stock clearance.

20171107_171854_HDR.jpg

Noob question time... :cool:
So do the setscrews that you added into the ring you made push against the threaded mount? And this allows you to "re-align" the body /jaws closer to a zero alignment? Am I on the right track?

Noob question time... :cool:
So do the setscrews that you added into the ring you made push against the threaded mount? And this allows you to "re-align" the body /jaws closer to a zero alignment? Am I on the right track?
Exactly.

I did that years ago with my cushman chuck. One other thing you should do is line up the chuck on a gage with your adjustment screws than grind the jaws in.

20161109_183933.jpg

You'll probably find that the 1/4-20 set screws are not big enough to push that chuck around. I'd recommend 3/8-24.

Way to go , great way to make an adjustrue chuck . I think I can do that to my old logan three jaw. I reground the jaws a few years back but this will help me keep it trued up. Thanks again

I went 3/8 24 on my cushman, and also grind the end flat on a surface grinder

20161109_183933.jpg

Back