Lathe chucks

Current price:

Pratt Burnerd (PBA) - 1-495-0626300 - 6in 6 Jaw Setrite Lathe Chuck Steel​

• Item #: 10487559
  • MFR SKU: 1-495-0626300
$1,648.75

Bison is about the same. Backplate is another 300-400. I've bought several used scroll chucks and you need luck to get one that stays within .002 and the jaws aren't bunged up. An independent is a better choice used in my world and watch for a NOS or lightly used set tru type. I found a 6" 6jaw set tru Bison for a little under 1000 and while still expensive, trying to get accuracy from a used Bison gets old. I took three used Bisons and ended up with one decent scroll, and one good enough for soft jaws. I found a 6" Union combination chuck for 100 and was curious enough to buy it to see how it worked. Jaws needed to be entirely reground on the small end but the larger diameter ends were pretty good so I run it for larger diameter stuff. Doesn't repeat real well but I can dial it in to <.001. The old Union chucks were very good but most are quite old as their heyday was in the 1930s-1950s. They were among the first combo chucks. Dave

Oh, I definitely buy used equipment. Just find one that has had a good life.

On the subject or whether to buy a good Buck-style chuck or to live with the time consuming 4-jaw, I disagree with living with a 4-jaw. About 40 years ago, about a month after I bought my 3996 with the factory 6" 3-jaw and 8" 4-jaw, I bought a P-B 6" 3-jaw with two-piece jaws.. It came with a 1-1/2"-8 backing plate. After "dialing" it in, I have never regretted the expenditure.

Back