Lathe Coolant system or Cutting Fluid, What do I need

This post has been edited by staff to remove inappropriate language. There are young people that visit here, please keep this in mind when writing your posts.
It depends on the material and operation.

I single pionted threads in 110 copper parts today, (electric switch contacts) tried general purpose water soluble coolant, this did not work.

Then cutting oil which worked better yet not ideal.

The last resort that I knew would work was lard oil, we do a lot of copper work so always have a 5 gallon pail of it around, and as usual it worked a charm. However I loathe using it but had no choice.
Turned some parts last week in free machining tellurium copper alloy which machines nearly as easily as 360 brass, if you need to make conductor components from copper, it is an excellent material for this purpose.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use Kool Mist 77 on my mill or straight shop air. Use TrimSol for the flood coolant on my lathe, and it doesn't get used very often. As mentioned above, it makes a big mess, especially if it hits the chuck. I don't have issues with rust but wipe down the lathe and spray it with LPS 1 lubricant after every use. The LPS 1 displaces the coolant really well.

Bruce

Back