Lathe coolants?

Larry42

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I've been using a heavy cutting oil on steel. It makes a hell of a mess and the work (4130) gets pretty hot, quickly. My lathe has a coolant pump system but I've never used it. Guys have talked about the fluid growing stuff and it's short life. I want to give it a try. I'm asking for recommendations. I usually do all roughing with carbide inserts and switch to HSS tools for the finish. As usual for a home shop, I also use aluminum quite a lot also.

I use Kool Rite 2290. Doesn't stink, get rancid or rust the metal. Just mix it a little more than what they call for.

first I am no pro but on certain items I use a mister synthetic coolant and the part stays cool and does not get hot. I do not use it all the time and there is a small pan in the chip tray that catches the small amout of liquid that my form.

I work in a shop with 5 lathes and 7 mills and we go through a 55 gallon drum of soluble oil every 8 months or so, mostly with the NC lathes and VMCs, they have used Zurnoil Aquasol for years, be aware that if a machine sits idle for months at a time most any coolant will go off.

http://www.zurnoil.com/metalworking-coolants/

I use a product called Oakflow synthetic . It seems to work well and if you keep the oil out of it the product doesn:t go bad Gary

I use Mobilcut 100 (soluble oil) with a Tormach floating tramp oil collection pillow. I change the coolant and pillow every year for good measure and try to circulate the system every week. Only use distilled water when adding coolant and never had any problems. As a home gamer I run it at 10%.

+1 on the koolrite 2290. Best water based coolant for home use I have found. I have been running that in my cnc mill for three years and the lathe for two. The water will evaporate before it goes bad.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the help. There is a Mobil distributor close by. I think I'll try their product.

My home shop 13x40 lathe came with flood coolant. It has never been used and there is only dust in the tank. That is because of the mess, the smell, and the increased cleanup time to deal with it. Don't get me wrong, flood coolant works very well. I, and many others, just do not like to deal with the mess that comes with it. Instead, I use cutting oils and fluids, Anchorlube, and synthetic mist coolant on my machines. For a hobbyist, at least in my case, flood coolant just does not make sense. I have no production schedule that I need to meet...

About your carbide inserts --- I've been told a number of times that coolants and carbide don't mix. Apparently the repeated heating/cooling as they work causes the carbide to crack or break down. Something to consider, maybe....

Back