Lathe Cutting Tools

Thanks Mike - much appreciated

From your lengthy response, I presume I either discouraged you or confused you, or both. I didn't intend either one. I, too, have an 11" lathe but it is tight, has a 2HP motor, runs at a max speed of 2200 rpm and is very rigid for its size. Your Logan is a good lathe and it will work well for you with the right tool.

Don't be discouraged. Try some brazed carbide tools. Sharpen them, put a small nose radius on them and you will be surprised how well they work. They can run fast or slow, although faster is better. I really like brazed carbide tools from Micro 100 but many guys use tools from China with good results. This will allow you to learn to use your lathe and maybe even devote some time to learning about grinding HSS tools.

If you are simply curious and have the money, I can tell you that a 3/8" SCLCR tool holder that takes 22.51 or 22.52 CCMT and CCGT inserts will work on your lathe. You will not get the speed you need for them to work as well as they can but they will work for you, at least enough for you to form your own impression of them.

Good luck, and remember that there are many other opinions out there. I may be totally wrong!

On the contrary, you convinced me to go hss blanks and learn to grind - as you say: (i) that is what the lathe was designed to do; (ii) the lathe cannot take full advantage of inserts

So I'll give that a try - I think i will buy a few tools already ground and learn grinding by touching them up

you have been very helpful - thanks Mike

Thanks for all the input guys! I have a ton of HSS blanks. I have been watching videos on grinding tools so I will probably go that route for a while. I will need to get a machinist protractor to I can get all my angles correct. I have always just eyeballed the angles, and getting mixed results. I think that grinding my own tooling will give me more satisfaction knowing I ground it correctly myself. (or ground it wrong) I guess it is all part of the learning process. Later I will probably try an insert. Thanks again.

Flyrod, TXShelbyman, I wrote a thread on grinding HSS tools here: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/how-to-grind-a-hss-turning-tool.52581/

If you can grind a flat spot on the end of a square piece of HSS three times in a row then you can grind a lathe tool. Its not quite on the level of walking and chewing gum at the same time but its close. Actually, grinding the tool is not the trick; picking the right angles to use for each flat is the trick. Read the articles I linked to at the end of the original post and it will give you some direction.

If you have questions, post to that thread I linked to above and I or someone else will try to answer them.

Mikey

My suggestion for anyone wanting to learn how to sharpen HSS tool bits is simple: Just jump in with both feet and start doing it! :)

Try different grinds until you get the tool to cut/perform the way you want. If it doesn't work, just do some more experimenting. You've got nothing to lose and a lot to gain. There definitely is a feeling of satisfaction grinding your own bits and drills. Before you know it, anyone can get to the point where you will just start eye balling things and it will become quicker and quicker to touch bits up.

Another thing to play with is where your tool is on center. I like to run mine just a little bit above center (except for threading, tapers, etc. where the bit needs to be right on center), but YMMV and you'll have to experiment with your individual tool and lathe.

Have fun!
Ted

Its good to read everyones opinion, on a topic, read their responses, then let it soak in, even if your experience has been totally different. One of the reason I joined the site, was to view how other people do a certain job or procedure, to see if it differs from your way and then determine if your way or theirs is better. Whether you agree or don't agree, with their post, to me its still viable information, it might not work for you now, but might spark an idea, at a later time.

Flyrod, TXShelbyman, I wrote a thread on grinding HSS tools here: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/how-to-grind-a-hss-turning-tool.52581/

If you can grind a flat spot on the end of a square piece of HSS three times in a row then you can grind a lathe tool. Its not quite on the level of walking and chewing gum at the same time but its close. Actually, grinding the tool is not the trick; picking the right angles to use for each flat is the trick. Read the articles I linked to at the end of the original post and it will give you some direction.

If you have questions, post to that thread I linked to above and I or someone else will try to answer them.

Mikey

There are a ton of great tips in that thread. For me, one of the best takeaways was the use of wood push blocks. This tip helped me take my 10 facet sides down to one or two, giving me a more consistent grind and sharper edges, and it makes honing much easier.

My suggestion for anyone wanting to learn how to sharpen HSS tool bits is simple: Just jump in with both feet and start doing it! :)

Try different grinds until you get the tool to cut/perform the way you want. If it doesn't work, just do some more experimenting. You've got nothing to lose and a lot to gain. There definitely is a feeling of satisfaction grinding your own bits and drills. Before you know it, anyone can get to the point where you will just start eye balling things and it will become quicker and quicker to touch bits up.

Another thing to play with is where your tool is on center. I like to run mine just a little bit above center (except for threading, tapers, etc. where the bit needs to be right on center), but YMMV and you'll have to experiment with your individual tool and lathe.

Have fun!
Ted

Ted, glad you enjoy grinding tools. If you would like to share how they look, post some pics, either here or in my thread I linked to. Many of us enjoy seeing what other guys are doing and then hearing how those tools work for them.

Back