Lathe D1 Spindle Type Rebuild Parts

BrentH

Registered
Registered
Hello,

Just wondering if anyone out there has a reasonable costing source for D1-3 spindle parts? I am looking more at the cams in the spindle head that lock onto the pegs on the back of a D1 type mount. I have found the pegs at ludicrous prices (like $45 per peg) but no where can I seem to locate the other components that make up a D1 type arrangement. Is there any kits out there? Something you could get all 3 cams and springs etc as one overhaul type thing?

I wanted to make a backer plate for a ER collet arrangement for my lathe and the pegs were stupid expensive. I ended up just buying the whole plate with the pegs for $75. That got me thinking about renewing the cam locks in my circa 1969 lathe and I can't seem to find anything?

Do your present cams and studs show wear that significantly effect operation? Is/are the chuck(s) tight on the spindle in operation? Does it NEED fixing?

Well......no....it will suffice. but I would like to get some of the pegs for making another face plate.....

It was one of those items I believed would be available "just in case" but seem to be very difficult to find. I guess most lathes or D1 type spindle bits don't wear out or are scrapped with the worn out lathe - they don't see much action typically...so I guess limited availability?

It would be nice to get a cam assembly together so you could make up a spindle head for a rotary table and then just quick clamp your chuck on....

There would be uses....

Dang! $20-$50 a pop?
I know what I'm gonna to start to keep an eye out for in the misc lots at auctions.

I dropped a spindle pin out of mine once and it hit the rubber mat on the floor.
Then the Gremlins grabbed it and you all know how that story goes. . .

I have seen them occasionally on e bay, but, yes, not plentiful ------

Back