Lathe Delivery, Backhoe Required

Nice machine Ed, and it's always interesting getting them where you want them. Having a backhoe handy is a great thing. I'd be lost without mine. Mike

Nice! I sure would have been puckered up good, about the time the headstock end tipped down to the angle iron ramp!:eek 2::faint:

Nice! I sure would have been puckered up good, about the time the headstock end tipped down to the angle iron ramp!:eek 2::faint:
Yeah that "event horizon" was my biggest concern, went smooth though, thanks to the strap to the car.

Yes, I was originally going to build a permanent ramp before moving the lathe, but time was running out and I had to get it down there before winter. I'll build it in the spring, hopefully...

Why stop there? A freight elevator would make the next job easier! :laughing:

When I built my ramp, I used planks almost twice as long as the required ramp. The planks were laid out horizontally and a Bobcat was used to lower my load onto the ramp. The load was pulled slowly past the tipping point where it was possible to control the angle of the ramp with a little muscle power. One chain and come-along was attached to the downhill side and the Bobcat was used as an anchor on the uphill side. The load was slowly pulled in until it was inside the basement.

The advantage with this approach was that the load was always on the ramp.

When I built my ramp, I used planks almost twice as long as the required ramp. The planks were laid out horizontally and a Bobcat was used to lower my load onto the ramp. The load was pulled slowly past the tipping point where it was possible to control the angle of the ramp with a little muscle power. One chain and come-along was attached to the downhill side and the Bobcat was used as an anchor on the uphill side. The load was slowly pulled in until it was inside the basement.

The advantage with this approach was that the load was always on the ramp.
I thought about doing something similar but the angle iron I had on hand wasn't long enough. Also, the lathe weighs around 2,500 pounds, I wanted everyone present to be well clear of it while it was in motion or in a potentially precarious position. We moved it hands off.

You guys with shops in your basements don't know how you do it. I found it hard enough to get my 500Kg, 1100lbs, lathe into my car garage, mind you I don't have access to backhoes, bobcats, and front end loaders.

Still we all do what we have to do to satisfy our need to make chips.

Back