lathe for sale; thoughts?

You finally jumped in. Way to go. Now the real fun begins. Keep us posted on your progress. David

First, I don't know why people here tell people to go to Vintage Machinery for Atlas manuals. Pretty much anything that they have on Atlas/Craftsman machines you will find here in our Downloads. And what's here is usually of much better quality (cleaner) because it was mostly done by someone who knew what they were doing. Specifically, you will find a parts manual and as much of an operator's manual as Sears ever did on the 101.07403. You will also find the Atlas Technical Bulletin on how to remove and install the spindle and back gears, and one on how to mount and level the lathe. What you won't find because the book is still in print, albeit for a later model of 12", and we are hesitant to risk a copyright violation, is the Atlas Manual of Lathe Operation and Machinist Tables (MOLO for short). You need to buy an original off of eBay, preferably the 1954 or 1955 edition with Craftsman on the black front cover.

I forgot to add that with a 36 inch bed, your machine is a 12x18. And as it has a rectangular motor switch escutcheon, it was made 1943 or later. Given the good condition of the paint, I would guess later rather than earlier. Post the serial number and I can narrow that some.

I also forgot to add that on the left end of the lathe are the normal 5 change gears used for most turning and facing. If you found one more loose, then you are missing 9.

nice score on the lathe.
the accessories are worth as much as the lathe itself.
you'll have years of fun!!! ;)

$400.00 Smokin' deal ! ARC-170 I think I saw the original cast iron legs in that shot of the back of the machine , is that the case ?

$400.00 Smokin' deal ! ARC-170 I think I saw the original cast iron legs in that shot of the back of the machine , is that the case ?

Yes, it appears that I got the original stand. It is REALLY heavy! I'm debating if I should sand and clean the wood, or just leave it. The top piece is really oily and the bottom needs paint. I may leave the "patina" on both, though. It will just get dirty again anyway.

Yes, it appears that I got the original stand. It is REALLY heavy! I'm debating if I should sand and clean the wood, or just leave it. The top piece is really oily and the bottom needs paint. I may leave the "patina" on both, though. It will just get dirty again anyway.
Nice , I have been looking for those legs for a while . There was a guy selling a pair for $400. near me , not sure if he still has them . I was under the impression that the wood was coated with a stain . Anyhow any Atlas/Craftsman lathe sitting on top of those legs looks awesome .

Last edited:
nice buy. You an rebuild the headstock if the bearings are gone. You got your money's worth if you don't mind doing a basic refirb.

Don't think that you have to disassemble everything. Don't disassemble anything that you don't have to.

Back