Lathe grease gun advice

I think it shameful when the founding company has to sell out to another, and the new company uses the original name on its own products. It doesn't seem right that a once proud name is now attached to second rate products.
Am I allowed to say this, or is this turning political?

No way would I characterize new SB stuff as "second rate." It's good quality stuff, better than machines sold under Grizzly's regular brand. Also, to clarify, their lathes are Taiwanese, which represents a clear step-up in factory standards over mainland China. The 8K and Heavy Ten get criticized for their somewhat illogical combination of specs and components, but I haven't heard anybody who has used one complain about their accuracy or metallurgy.

Also, to clarify, their lathes are Taiwanese

That's because, after twenty five years the manufacturers in Taiwan have moved their foundries and manufacturing facilities out of their kitchens. Thirty years ago they couldn't duplicate a part when they had the original casting in their hands. One of the tale-tale traits of import equipment that looks really good is the amount of plastic autobody filler used on their castings before they are painted. The problems lie with no mandated QC, but that's true anywhere.

Last edited:
I work for a large manufacturing firm that makes about 85% of our components in the US, and gets 15% from Asia. We get a lot of the stuff we source from overseas because we can't find a US firm to make it to our level of quality. There are genuinely excellent factories and total crap factories just about everywhere nowadays, even China. On a national level, it's simply the ratio of good to bad that varies. But the days of assuming that EVERYTHING sourced from a particular country must be good or bad are over.

But the days of assuming that EVERYTHING sourced from a particular country must be good or bad are over.

I think you missed the point. Fitterman1 resides in Australia, I'm in California and the topic was quality which you quickly pointed out the country of origin of the current SB lathe. The point specific was a quality product that was filling a need of the war effort in WWII. South Bend was an innovation of that era and I can assure you none of the parts were outsourced or was there a need too. Tell us what 15% of the product that goes into your manufactured item must be purchased from Asia. I can't speak for anyone but I wasn't implying only quality is available here in the US, and I will default to my opening comment.

I could give you a list of products by container load that didn't meet alloy specifications and in turn were purchased by the insurance companies who covered them. This still doesn't imply that the US has superior quality. Wherever product is outsourced, it's about cost in almost all cases, before the lack of qualified workers or craftsmanship availability comes into play. Fitterman1's comment was about 2nd 3rd generation machinists losing their jobs to 5th and 6th generation peasant farmers sons and daughters.

When an unskilled worker become trained, they want more money for their skills. After honing those skills for 20 yrs. a person is reluctant to go back to apprentice wages. For the last 30-40 years the outsourcing of jobs to unskilled labor markets has been the norm. When that specific region becomes more skilled and the workers begin to ask for higher wages, the manufacturing moves to the the next unskilled geographic area.

That's because, after twenty five years the manufacturers in Taiwan have moved their foundries and manufacturing facilities out of their kitchens. Thirty years ago they couldn't duplicate a part when they had the original casting in their hands. One of the tale-tale traits of import equipment that looks really good it the amount of plastic autobody filler used on their castings before they are painted. The problems lie with no mandated QC, but that's true anywhere.
True true, I just received a cheap angle yesterday. The voids in the casting are amazing. So pitted ... But you get what you pay for... I needed it for a job, and had no other choice.
But turns out it was for naught anyway... I bought a SB taper attach and the grub screws are hardened apparently.. I had to drill them out before sending them to a welder to fill the holes and cracks...
Gotta find a 5/32 carbide drill bit.

It doesn't seem right that a once proud name is now attached to second rate products.

I should have picked better words to use, I'm not bagging the new South Bend labelled products, or the company that sells them.
Its obvious they are marketing a better product sourced from a more highly developed industrialized area.
At the end of the day it's the way the global market has evolved, that irks me.
My apologies for dragging this thread off topic.
Now back to the lubricating topic, what has Tanshanomi done about lubing his lathe?

Now back to the lubricating topic, what has Tanshanomi done about lubing his lathe?

I spent $33.50 for a better-quality version of the push-type grease gun that came with it. Haven't had a chance to fill it and try it out yet, though.

IMG_5103.JPG

Looks like a good unit, does it have the concave end?

Back