Lathe ID help?

madmodifier

Registered
Registered
Hi All,

Picked up a new lathe this weekend. Cleaned out an estate sale. Problem is that I cannot seem to find a manufacture anywhere on the machine. Hoping I can post a few pics and someone will recognize it.

Searching around just now I wonder if it is and F.E. Reed or an F.S. Perkins Co.

Mods, if this is not the right area please move the post.

IMG_20190114_083634852_HDR[1].jpg
IMG_20190114_083641963_HDR[1].jpg
IMG_20190114_083654839[1].jpg
IMG_20190114_083713006_HDR[1].jpg

Thanks,
Ben

Last edited:
Lots of T-slots on that carriage. Maybe an old turret lathe?

I guess I thought turret lathes usually did not have tail stocks. I have seen several lathes with t slots in the carriage, not that unusual especially on the older machines.

They usually have the turret in place of the tailstock, but that could have been swapped out.

Looking more closely, though, most of the T-slots are only on the apron side of the carriage. A bit odd, maybe added on by a previous owner.

They usually have the turret in place of the tailstock, but that could have been swapped out.

Looking more closely, though, most of the T-slots are only on the apron side of the carriage. A bit odd, maybe added on by a previous owner.

I believe there are t slots on the non apron side but they run parallel not perpendicular like the apron side.

An early Star perhaps?

Ill check in to that, thanks!

Edit:

Looking more at Seneca Falls lathes on Vintage Machinery I am not seeing any that have the feed and lead screws. The 1/2 nut handle looks right though.

Last edited:
Definitely not a turret lathe, older lathes commonly had T slots on the carriage because they were commonly used for boring work that was carried by the carriage, before the common use of horizontal boring mills or milling machines.

I think you are on the right track looking at machines from the Worcester MA area. L. Robbins, Robbins Machine Co. , Prentice Bros, and P. Blaisdell & Co. are some others. I believe there was a a bit of industrial incest going on there at the turn of the century.

This L. Robbins machine shows some similarities:

http://www.vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=18514

Back