Lathe in a car

vincent52100

Registered
Registered
This is maybe a strange question but; I’m looking for a lathe that that can be disassembled and carried in a car (Hyundai Sonata). The rear seats do lay down so I can load through the trunk. I’m not interested in a mini lathe. Would like 9x19 or larger. I looked and there are some good deals on used machines but if I had to rent a truck the cost would not make sense. If I use our car we could combine buying a lathe with a mini vacation. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

I used to have a Logan 200 (10-inch, freestanding style), and it broke down and fit in the back of a 2003 CR-V pretty easily - where there’s a will, there’s a way :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I moved a South Bend 9 x 24 and its bench in my Subaru Outback, about a 150 mile trip.

my Honda crv had plenty of space for my Logan 10 broken down, legs, pan, etc.

Depending on what you want it for taig style or mingling of taig and Logan/atlas parts I’ve seen some awesome little rigs over the years.

I’m a woodworker and have been making pool cues for over a decade they are a niche of their own in woodcraft.

Generally speaking I hate those little lathes they are too flexible and what not but hitting up places like McMaster Carr getting some nice materials and diy can account for a lot obviously.

Cool thing about tinkering making your own machines is you learn more than you probably will care to originally lmao. So stay positive lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I would think anything 30" bed or smaller could probably fit in the trunk. Where you might run into a problem would be the lathes with a full cabinet style stand.

Back