Lathe is home... now what?

Yup, all of the above. No need to bolt it down. Just plug it in and make something.

Actually, it would be a very good idea to level the bed- then check level in again in two or three weeks. Most garage floors (cement) are poured and finished with a slope towards the middle to facilitate drainage. Keeps standing water from accumulating,if you get a leak in the roof. So you need to insure your ways aren't twisted from a sloped floor - hence leveling and releveling the bed. Big lathes relax over time, once moved. The ways change shape due to gravity. Sometimes a lot. So recheck your leveling process after a few weeks, even a month, and nudge it into levell the second time around.

But first, start making stuff ! You will learn a lot just by turning round down round stock - and measuring depth of cut, etc.

Have fun!

Glenn

Well, after reading all the posts here, I think I've decided on a course of action.

I bought leveling pads that will enable me to level the lathe... that needed to happen because while my garage floor is "level" it is, as my mentor would say, "Carpentry level, not machine tool level." Now my lathe has 6 mounting points for leveling pads, four under the head, two under the tail. I bought 6x 500# rated vibration/leveling feet, and these have an extended base with a hole for lagging it to the floor if needed.

So, I'm going to set the lathe up on the feet and while I won't lag it down right now, I will have the option to do so easily should I change my mind in the future.

Thanks everyone, I'll keep you all posted on my progress.

Rick

If you live in earthquake country (New York probably isn't it) it is smarter to NOT bolt it to the floor.

About 350 felt earthquakes in the last 300 yrs, the last big one was a 5.4 RS, in 1983, centered in Blue Mt Lake, NY, southwest of Lake Placid, NY, before that 1976, again in Blue Mt Lake. Nothing Like California.

I have my 16" lathe sitting on Mason brand leveling pads. They helped to raise the lathe 3" or so. Taiwan made floor model lathes are always TOO LOW. Must be made to fit the Chinese frame!!:)

We had a small earth quake a few years ago. Nothing moved or fell over. My lathes run perfectly smooth. My smaller lathe is a Hardinge HLVH,which sits on 3 points,and CANNOT be bolted down. It has a nice wide cabinet,though.

Back