Lathe Leg Dimensions

silverhawk

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hey, guys, I am curious. I'd like to construct a new table for my lathe, but I'd like to make a steel one instead of the wooden one I already have. My curiosity is about the dimensions of original lathe table legs. Can anyone tell me the height and width of the original legs?

lathelegs.jpg

Thanks!

I built my wooden table much higher than normal. I'm 6'4" and my spindle is just lower than my chest. Its soooooo much more comfortable to run than the Bridgeport that I have to constantly be bent over to run. I also built the table like a tank... Wouldn't notice the difference if it were metal.
IMG_20180311_162248.jpg

I built my wooden table much higher than normal. I'm 6'4" and my spindle is just lower than my chest. Its soooooo much more comfortable to run than the Bridgeport that I have to constantly be bent over to run. I also built the table like a tank... Wouldn't notice the difference if it were metal.
View attachment 261983

That is about how tall I made mine, but now I want to do it another inch or two taller, and reduce the footprint. Mine was built like a tank, too. A big, wooden, larger than it had to be tank. So, I am going to go a little taller, and build it to fit the lathe as accurately as possible, and give me room to store tooling and gears.

Back