Lathe Leveling

MattM

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Trying to level my Leblond Regal in my new shop. No problem leveling Port and Starboard at both ends. Then everything goes catywampus when I try leveling fore and aft.

Any suggestions?

You navy guys; did you try leveling front-to-back first, then leveling left-to-right?

jack vines

Why on earth is it called levelling when it has zero to do with levelling in the common use of the word? Isn't it more appropriately called way alignment or something like that?

A bubble level is a nice low tech way to take the twist out of the lathe bed. That's why they call it leveling. Because leveling is what a level does.
Clear eh?

Every lathe manual I’ve seen has included a procedure to set up the lathe. And all have specified leveling. And they call it ‘leveling’.

To the OP, I don’t spend too much time on the left/right myself, and put most of my effort to the front/back. Hard enough to get front/back level on both ends of the bed. To get left/right perfect too makes things crazy complicated. And the proof is in the final adjustment based on taking actual cuts and the two collar test.

A bubble level is a nice low tech way to take the twist out of the lathe bed. That's why they call it leveling. Because leveling is what a level does.
Clear eh?
And what resolution is your bubble, eh?

@MattM I'll be doing the exact same thing with mine as soon as the other base gets here. I plan to level each base separately, then put the bed on - did I mention it is completely in parts right now? If yours is a 15X60, it will have 7 leveling screws. That can present quite a challenge. They guys that set up the big lathes here in town suggested to me to use the 4 screws at the front and rear of each base to set up and level, then set the other 3 down to snug to stabilize.

- what model do you have?

Guysa, I know its called levelling. But really i think it's overrated and does not achieve much. The final test is how it cuts.

Having spent most of my working live on merchant ships, almost all of which had a decent workshop that included a lathe and sometime a milling machine, plus m,any other nice toys. for those who have never been on a ship, you can at least i imagine that a ship rolls and pitches in the seaway. Most cargo ships are not stabilised like cruise ships are, so the rolling can be quite heavy, and the pitching can be quite violent in heavy weather. So how to level the lathe?.

OK, so when the ship is built a very heavy steel frame is made where the lathe will be installed This frame is made so stiff that it wont flex and is then mounted to the ships frame with flexible mountings.

The lathe is then placed on the frame and bolted to it using shims and or jacking screws so that the lathe is true to itself, the centerline from head stock to tail stock must be parallel to the ways, then test cuts are made and the final adjustments are made in the normal manner.

Once the lathe is settled in this way it should never need adjusting. I have been able to do good turning work on such a lathe in heavy weather with the ship rolling up to 37 Deg both sides and back every six seconds plus heavy pitching.

Under such conditions the only way to remain stable and have hands free to operate the machine is is to wear a safety harness and be secured in the working position. Make sure the job is secure, you don't want it flying out at you and you can't move.

I have secured my lathe in a similar manner. the steel frame sits on the concrete floor , the frame is stabilised and the lathe is adjusted true to itself within the frame. theoretically I could drag it to another position and although it might rock a little on the floor. it should not upset the lathe at all. If it rocks a little all i have to do is slip in a couple of wedges, who cares if it's not truly level, I don't and nor does my lathe.

Back