Lathe lube

Yes at one time that was the recommendations from Atlas, later on they began recommending 20W instead of the 10w. I don't know why. Also don't know how much difference, if any, it would make for a hobby use machine.
I should have mentioned that I purchased the Lubriplate way oil from Little Machine Shop, but you may have already found a source for that.

-frank

Yes at one time that was the recommendations from Atlas, later on they began recommending 20W instead of the 10w. I don't know why. Also don't know how much difference, if any, it would make for a hobby use machine.
I should have mentioned that I purchased the Lubriplate way oil from Little Machine Shop, but you may have already found a source for that.

-frank
I was going to use 10wt for the spindle, I can mix a little 30wt with the 10wt for everything else. don't have way oil yet, so thanks for the tip. I don't use my lathe a lot, so have not kept it as I should. Mostly a good cleaning and lube is all it really needs. Can not find the manual that came with it, searched the web for a lube chart for the 6" mk2, no luck yet.

Just use the 30wt like it is. You can thin it a little with the 10wt if you like.
Once you become a premium member, check out the downloads, there may be some Atlas lathe oiling information available. Also, look under Atlas Lathe forum here for additional information.

My 6" Atlas came with a lubrication chart from the factory . It recommended "No. 10" motor oil for everything on the lathe including the ways,
except the gears where they specified a heavy, open gear lube. So a 10 wt. spindle oil, way oil and gear grease would cover it pretty well. I
use Mobil Vactra for the ways, Mobil Velocite spindle oil, and Jet Lube OG-H open gear grease. I suspect that just about any brand would be
fine though: keeping things clean and lubed is the important thing.

Just use the 30wt like it is. You can thin it a little with the 10wt if you like.
Once you become a premium member, check out the downloads, there may be some Atlas lathe oiling information available. Also, look under Atlas Lathe forum here for additional information.
I use CH compressor oil mixed with STP ,the oil is 30 wt non detergent and like you said it can be used on it's own but when mixed with STP oil additive, it gets much thicker (that how I like mine),the viscosity can be adjusted ,I put less STP during the cold months.

It was explained to me that grease should not be used on a lathe, only proper oils, since grease retains chips more tenaciously.

It was explained to me that grease should not be used on a lathe, only proper oils, since grease retains chips more tenaciously.

Older lathes with change gears, as opposed to an enclosed gearbox often need open gear grease. The manufacturer's instructions for my Atlas
specified grease for them. My Logan also requires grease on the gears and the rack under the edge of the bed. But you're right, using grease where oil is specified may not be a good idea.

Last edited:
I use bear grease on my lathe. The hard part is talking the bear out of it. :cowboy:Mike

Back