Lathe Material

I would be tempted to use brass or bronze..........
If the "spacer" is functioning as a thrust bearing (rotating contact with a stationary part), then bronze would be the best choice. Brass does not have the same resistance to wear and deformation as bronze. If it simply establishes a stack length, the material is unimportant as long as it is rigid, available and cheap. If sized right, I'd start with some black iron (or galvanized) water pipe.

If the "spacer" is functioning as a thrust bearing (rotating contact with a stationary part), then bronze would be the best choice. Brass does not have the same resistance to wear and deformation as bronze. If it simply establishes a stack length, the material is unimportant as long as it is rigid, available and cheap. If sized right, I'd start with some black iron (or galvanized) water pipe.

I added brass to the list because a plastic part was sufficient for "a while", Brass would be sufficient for "way more than a while", but bronze will "probably never wear out".

Wow sorry about that. I meant to say head stock. Not sure why I had tail stock in my head. It is the black plastic spacer in head stock.

It would really help if you showed us a picture of this spacer. Spacers can have multiple functions (provide specific clearances, provide stable positioning, support and align structures, etc.) so the material you choose must meet or exceed the demands. If you showed us what it has to do or provide more detail about it's role then we might be able to provide better advice.

As is quite common on this forum, you're over-thinking this. If the original part was plastic, steel will make a superior replacement, ANY grade of steel. This is where you use that piece of stock that you can't identify.
Yea. After some thought I was thinking I could probably just use some aluminum.

It would really help if you showed us a picture of this spacer. Spacers can have multiple functions (provide specific clearances, provide stable positioning, support and align structures, etc.) so the material you choose must meet or exceed the demands. If you showed us what it has to do or provide more detail about it's role then we might be able to provide better advice.
Posted picture of the spacer below. Sorry about not posting sooner.

8976EC66-97F3-4CB7-811A-3363081DD822.jpeg

Okay, thanks for the pic. That looks like the rear of the spindle and the spacer's function is to space the two gears a fairly accurate distance apart. It also looks like it has to take some light compressive force as you adjust preload. Finally, the ID is fairly large so you'll have to bore it; something that is easy to machine would be preferable. I don't think heat or shock resistance is a major factor for this part.

Given the above, aluminum or Delrin would work just fine. I don't see that steel or brass would be needed for this part, although they would also work. If it was me, I would just use Delrin and have the part done in a few minutes.

Okay, thanks for the pic. That looks like the rear of the spindle and the spacer's function is to space the two gears a fairly accurate distance apart. It also looks like it has to take some light compressive force as you adjust preload. Finally, the ID is fairly large so you'll have to bore it; something that is easy to machine would be preferable. I don't think heat or shock resistance is a major factor for this part.

Given the above, aluminum or Delrin would work just fine. I don't see that steel or brass would be needed for this part, although they would also work. If it was me, I would just use Delrin and have the part done in a few minutes.
Thank you so much for the information! I just finished turning the part with some aluminum I had on hand.

Thank you!

F8C7984C-A159-495B-A988-B3892F680889.jpeg

Back