Lathe milling attachment or milling machine

DiscoDan

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have a 12x36 Craftsman lathe. I have considered buying a milling attachment for it and a collet set from Joel (mymachineshop). I recently discovered the Atlas MFC horizontal mill and I found one with a vertical head that appears to be complete but no mention of any tooling or condition for $950. I don't mind somewhat of a project and I enjoy the older American machinery. Thoughts on my choices?

Go for the Atlas. Those are nice little machines. That's what I started out with many years ago.

I saw a few videos and it looks like the auto feed table moves a little slowly but I'm not in a big hurry. Is there any way to change speed on a stock machine?

Also, what should I be looking for on these machines?

Is I recall there are 3 or 4 table speeds that can be selected or changed with change gears. Been a long time ago :)

Like any machine, look at the ways, backlash, and overall condition. As long as it looks reasonably well cared for you are normally in good shape. But it's about a 50 - 60 year old machine, so don't expect it to be in new condition.

I used an Atlas MFC once, and was really disappointed with it's performance. It had little power or rigidity. Might have been that particular machine. Granted, I am used to my Millrite mill, which is still considerably less than a Bridgeport. I think I would buy a used Chinese bench mill before the Atlas horizontal, probably for a lot less money, too.

Without getting into a whole lot of detail, there are about 20 different table feeds for the Atlas milling machine. Selection is accomplished with the Change-O-Matic gear assembly by means of a lever. No gears are actually taken on or off as one typically associates with change gears. Here's a clip from one of the catalogues we have in the Downloads here that gives a bit more information on actual settings. Might be worth looking at those for anyone considering one.

-frank

Capture changeomatic.JPG

They are ok if a bit light. Not having a quill is a bummer (for drilling)
Lots of folks like 'em tho, and much better than any lathe milling attachment hoopty
mark

Wow markba633csi, "hoopty" is pretty harsh!!

I have no room for a Bridgeport in my already full one car garage workshop. I could buy a small foreign mill but I like the old American iron.

Back