Lathe milling attachment or milling machine

That's an interesting idea. The toolpost looks kind of like a large mushroom, and it might be difficult to get a good grip on it. On the other hand, it is made for the lathe, so it fastens down to the compound T-slot.

Like has been said, a lathe milling attachment is no milling machine. Layout is harder, accuracy is less, rigidity is less. That said, you can mill a lot more parts on a milling attachment than a toaster. Obviously, the bigger the lathe and attachment, the more aggressive cuts you can make. I can conventional mill .050 with a 3/4 cutter on mine. I have absolutely no room for a mill, so the attachment is it for me.
DSC_0085.JPGSPANNER WRENCH AND NUT.JPGSPANNER WRENCH FITTED TO NUT.JPGDSC_0863.JPG

Last edited:
For those of you who have no room for a mill, I say if I could only fit one machine in my shop it would be a mill. I spend more time by far on the mill, and for me trying to do milling on a lathe would be more challenging than to do lathe work on a mill. Who’s with me out there? :)

Epanzella, good question. I don't know how to do this on a lathe either. :)

Here's trimming a tool post holder. Interrupted cut. Very satisfactory results.

DSCF4144.JPG

DSCF4151.JPG

DSCF4152.JPG

Here's trimming a tool post holder. Interrupted cut. Very satisfactory results.

Trimming the bottom of that holder to get tool O/C, I presume? Although I read that interrupted cuts don't agree with carbide, I've had good luck using carbide as well. The first time I used carbide I was forced to do it. Using HSS to turn some torch cut plate was a joke as the edge wouldn't last 10 seconds. I tried carbide as a last resort and it blew rith thru the jagged torch cut.

I have to agree with most of the above comments. A milling attachment is no substitute for a real mill, but some of us have restrictions, mine is space. I already had to compromise with a short bed lathe. I had to settle for only 16"between centers on a 12" swing, so pretty short it also meant I couldn't have a gap.

If I had the space I would love to have a bridgeport or clone thereof. but I simply don't have the space. So I'm making a vertical spindle milling attachment for the lathe. I already do some horizontal milling, either clamping small items to the toolpost, or for larger items remove the toolpost and clamp them to the cross slide. and running various cutters in the headstock, I have some MT3 arbors with draw bar, and a MT3 to 5 sleave, It works quite well and I'm happy with the depth of cut and feed rates that I can get.

I'm always careful to not climb mill, I have never liked the practice anyway, I have seen too many machines damaged, and only rarely use for a fine finish cut if needed.

Sure a real mill would be better, but like I said " no room".

Back