Lathe Motor Help Please

HBilly1022

Registered
Registered
I've been having issues with my lathe motor and got a replacement for it, from lathe distributor, King Canada. The motor wiring schematics are identical on both motors but the new one has a jumper across 2 terminals that are not jumped on the old motor. I am thinking of taking the jumper off and running the wires to the same terminals as the old motor setup. Here are the pics of the 2 motors.

The existing one with wires still attached.
IMG_0428.JPG
The new one. See the jumper across the right 2 terminals.
IMG_0429.JPG

Thoughts please.

I would remove the jumper, the connections I gather are for forward and reverse. The connections are handled by the switch which selects forward and reverse, one would need to look at the lathe schematic to confirm this. I would wire it the same as the original motor which has the same connection schema and remove the jumper noted.

Thanks mksj. I figured since the wiring schematics are the same on both motors, the new motor may have had the jumper for a different application.

I would have been a lot more confident if the wires from the lathe matched the wiring diagram but they do not. None of the labels on the lathe wires match the labels on the motor connection block. But I'm going to hook everything up as it was, since that worked.

Back