[How do I?] Lathe Or Mill?

Electrojim

Registered
Registered
Hi,

Not a machinist here, but looking for someone who can do a fairly simple job for me. Before I approach someone local, or a full-blown shop, if that's necessary, I'd like to get an idea of how difficult this project should be.

I need a circle cut out of half-inch jig plate, about 13-1/2 inches in diameter, with a pilot hole spotted dead-on in the center. I found jig plate on line and can buy a 14" square piece. I figure that it would take one beast of a lathe to do this, so I wonder if a vertical mill could round-off a circle from a square of metal? I'd also like a radius on the edge of the circle, and wonder if that could be a milling operation as well. Thanks for any tips!

A CNC mill should have no trouble with cutting a circle like that.

What size pilot hole? That will make a lot of difference in how the piece could be held.

Thanks, guys! So, a CNC mill should be able to cut the circle and radius the edge? As for the pilot hole, the finished assembly will have a 0.286" spindle sticking up through it, but that could be turned down from a larger plug if a bigger center hole would help. This platter will be fastened to the top of an existing 12" phonograph transcription turntable (cast and turned aluminum), probably with screws coming up into tapped holes in the jig plate. So two circles of 1/4-20 tapped holes, maybe one on a 2" radius and another at a 5" radius , would be just fine.

The two 1/4-20 hole circles just made it easier. They can be used to hold the plate. CNC or manual, the problem is holding the piece. Unless you have a vacuum chuck, or glue the piece to a spoil board, there has to be something on the edge to clamp it down, thus posing a problem simply running an end mill around it, as well as a corner rounding mill.

Many thanks for all the info, guys. I feel that I can now approach someone local, with enough knowledge to avoid being '...led down the garden path.'

Back