Lathe or Mill…I can't decide and I'm going nutz

CODEMAN

Active User
Registered
I'm a ham radio guy and started building Morse code keys (See picture of my first project). I would like to produce more of them and not do everything by hand. the posts and vertical parts are all stock. So are the knurled screws so I really don't need to turn anything unless I venture into different designs, but I DO need to be able to accurately drill holes in the base of the key and drill and tap the ends of the small vertical posts. A friend of mine is adamant about me getting a lathe first and getting a mill attachment for it, but I'm thinking I should start with a mill as it would give me more design options down the road such as shaped aluminum hand pieces, bearing posts, etc. I'm sure I'm the millionth guy to post this question, but I was hoping that you might give your opinion relative to the projects I'm likely to want to build.

Thanks
Steve

TBKIIWeb.jpg

For what your doing a mill would be your best bet. A lathe is nice and very helpful to have (and you will want one as soon as you get your mill) but your working with mainly flat pieces and that's what a mill is for. Keep in mind, you can get a very capable Taig lathe for $300-400 bucks.

I agree. For what you're doing, a mill would serve you better. You'll get a lathe in short time though, once the bug bites. :))

Ok, so why not a lathe with a mill attachment? What are the Cons?

Steve

Ok, so why not a lathe with a mill attachment? What are the Cons?

Steve

Absolutely no reason at all, everything I see in the photo can be done on a lathe with a 4 jaw chuck, a milling attachment for it would make a couple of things easier, but then there's no reason if you where to buy a mill first that you couldn't mount a small chuck to the spindle and a lathe tool in the vise and do some turning.
It's hard to to answer your original question without being influenced by thing I do, for me personally, I'd do a lathe with a 4 jaw, milling attachment if possible, and a separate little drill press, but then I can't imagine life without being able to cut threads...!

I agree with Don B.
You can almost easily mill on a lathe… but to lathe on a mill requires good skills.

your hand craftsmanship is superb! I'll vote lathe first since that's what I did :)

Go with what your heart says...

I do much bigger stuff (and certainly not as pretty as your work) but, I personally find lathe milling attachments to be cumbersome and very difficult to setup and make critical measurements/cuts. If you decide upon a mill, consider getting a DRO as it's the best invention since sliced bread.

Ray

Perhaps looking at the primary function of each machine might help you make a decision. A lathe is very much suited for rounds on a concentric axis, a mill very well designed for positioning on a horizontal/vertical plane. You can do milling with a lathe, and turning with a mill, but their best functions will always be the ones they were primarily designed to do.

Opportunity often influences which machine comes first, but you seem to have defined product in mind so that should be your guide (obviously price comes into play as well, but your call on that anyway).

Just my thoughts as a lathe owner only (no mill). And I agree, very nice work you're doing there!

-frank

Back