Lathe or Mill…I can't decide and I'm going nutz

For what you are looking at doing, I'd say go with a mill and a lathe, with the mill being the most important. You asked the cons of a lathe with milling attachment. Most are pretty limited in travel - especially on a small lathe - and can be a little clunky to work with, being limited in the ways to clamp the material, etc. Even a small mill provides much better travel and work holding ability, making what you want to do simpler. I had one of the Taig lathes, and if you are just wanting a simple lathe to drill the ends of round pieces and simple turning, it would probably be more than adequate. A three in one machine might actually be a decent choice for what you are trying to do, but it will most likely limit things in the future, and you would have to tear each set up down every time you wanted to do a different operation, so I'd probably say to stick with a mill and a small lathe. Just google Taig Tools for their Micro Lathe. As for what mill, you could go with about anything for what you want to do. The Harbor Freight mill would probably be about the least expensive, especially if you find a 20% or 25% coupon and catch it on sale. Don't rule out the little 7x10 Harbor Freight lathe, which would give you more features than the little Taig. Just my 2 cents worth...

WB0SHN

My first instinct when I read the title was to say "lathe first." Looking at what you're making, I have to change that to "mill first." If you are keeping to making code keys, an X2 size mill would be big enough. In which case, you might have enough money left over to get a 7x12 lathe as well.

For the machine to address the needs of what you want to achieve right now you want a mill. With a DRO
For sure though you could make some of that other hardware on a lathe and cut your costs.

Cheers Phil

Seems to me that to drill and tap the holes on the centers on the vertical posts you really need a lathe. But to accurately drill the holes in the base you could make do with just a drill press, by locating the holes with a caliper, some bluing and a center punch.

That is a very nice looking key, by the way. I'm a CW op myself.

OK, I vote for the mill first. Drilling the holes in the small posts would be easier in the lathe, but also very easy to center up and drill on the mill.

I don't understand the logic of some of these responses. A lathe is the most versatile machine in the shop. Old time machine shops had lathes with milling attachments,but often did not afford a mill. I had a lathe with a milling attachment first for about a year,and made MUCH larger projects than that telegraph key. And,my first lathe was a Sears Atlas. Even it had a milling attachment that worked fine for small and medium parts,especially on brass. Get a larger lathe than a Harbor Freight,though. A Smithy combo unit will do what you are trying to do,though their milling heads are not the most ideal. For you,they'd work fine.

If I may offer a few suggestions about your project: Find slot head screws and do not use Phillips head screws on vintage style work. It is not good practice for the countersinks to be deeper than the top surfaces of the screw heads. They should be flush. And,polish the heads,keeping them quite flat,no rounding off of corners. Take old screws off of old furniture if you have to,but never use Phillips head screws on vintage style work. This is a very important detail. Blue the screws with a torch to a spring blue for an even nicer touch,which was even done in the 18th. C.. They used blued screws in brass hinges. Their brass was all cast at the time,and too weak to trust making screws out of that had to be strong.

Don't use socket head Allen screws. Don't use Allen type set screws. They didn't have them on vintage equipment. Saw off machine screws of STEEL,and with a jeweler's saw,saw a slot. I do this myself when I make vintage type parts. Even knobs in the 1950's used slotted set screws. These little details can make or break a first class job.

I have posted how to make old style microscope/telegraph/scientific instrument style knurls by milling(in the lathe) the knurls with a tap held in the chuck,revolving against the knurl wheel. It would greatly enhance your work to have authentic old style knurl work. You need a lathe to make the knurls and to use them.

Keep all the corners of your work sharp and crisp. do not polish them till they get rounded off. You can rub small blocky brass parts on fine abrasive paper to get them quite smooth. Get some wet or dry paper down to 2000 grit. Work down to this fine grit with slightly soapy water. You will only have to do minimal polishing after that. And,the final buffing can be done by rubbing the parts on flat wood charged with Autosol or Simichrome polish. Autosol is preferred by conservation departments in Williamburg,where I was the master toolmaker.

Look at original work that is not beat up,and see how sharp and crisp they made their parts.

I do not mean to denigrate what you have done,but I can see that you have it in you to do even better. I needed this type of advice when I was young,and simply had not thought about these type of details. This type advice was how I improved my work,though I was already a pretty decent craftsman at the time.

Go to the "Moderators at work" section and look up my brass dividing head. It was all made with a lathe and milling attachment. Look at the nice knurling. They were made with knurls I made,too. Look how crisp the edges are, Yours are mostly o.k.,except for the brass block on top of your key.

Last edited:
Depending on how many you are going to make? And looking at the pictured code key. And what you have said. You could make them with a drill press and floor model belt sander. When you buy a mill and or lathe, it’s probably going to be bare bones. And the needed tooling for them can run you more than the machines! I read mention of a milling attachment for the lathe. That attachment mounts on top of the cross slide, sometimes on top of the compound. It really limits the milling operations on a lathe. Having said that, it still can command a hefty price for the little it does. There is also a learning curve to operating the machines. Do not know your time line? A good belt sander can be fast with a nice finish and can even do radii easily. And the belts are way cheaper than a vise, cutters, collets, etc. When you look at what our early ancestors made, say circa 1700 time pieces. It blows my mind at what they did with basic tools, candle light and crude optics. Today commerce offers all these toys that maybe you really don’t need? And nobody of today can replicate the craftsmanship of a circa 1700 timepiece, what’s up with that?

Last edited:
your hand craftsmanship is superb! I'll vote lathe first since that's what I did :)

We get to vote? I vote convince the finance department (aka sweetheart) the best option is to get both before the economy causes another price increase. :))

BTW, nice work.

Dave

Hi George,

Thanks for taking the time to respond and I really appreciate your comments. Although I wasn't going for a vintage look and following a plan published back in the early 1980's, I certainly appreciate your experiences making period pieces and attention to detail such as the screws, etc. I will be sure to incorporate those ideas into future work.

This was my first time out and in retrospect, I should have paid more attention to the finer details as you suggest. I certainly will on my next project.

Thanks for the heads up!

All the best,

Steve

PS. There's a Craftsman 109 for sale in the Classified section :thinking:

I don't understand the logic of some of these responses. A lathe is the most versatile machine in the shop. Old time machine shops had lathes with milling attachments,but often did not afford a mill. I had a lathe with a milling attachment first for about a year,and made MUCH larger projects than that telegraph key. And,my first lathe was a Sears Atlas. Even it had a milling attachment that worked fine for small and medium parts,especially on brass. Get a larger lathe than a Harbor Freight,though. A Smithy combo unit will do what you are trying to do,though their milling heads are not the most ideal. For you,they'd work fine.

If I may offer a few suggestions about your project: Find slot head screws and do not use Phillips head screws on vintage style work. It is not good practice for the countersinks to be deeper than the top surfaces of the screw heads. They should be flush. And,polish the heads,keeping them quite flat,no rounding off of corners. Take old screws off of old furniture if you have to,but never use Phillips head screws on vintage style work. This is a very important detail. Blue the screws with a torch to a spring blue for an even nicer touch,which was even done in the 18th. C.. They used blued screws in brass hinges. Their brass was all cast at the time,and too weak to trust making screws out of that had to be strong.

Don't use socket head Allen screws. Don't use Allen type set screws. They didn't have them on vintage equipment. Saw off machine screws of STEEL,and with a jeweler's saw,saw a slot. I do this myself when I make vintage type parts. Even knobs in the 1950's used slotted set screws. These little details can make or break a first class job.

I have posted how to make old style microscope/telegraph/scientific instrument style knurls by milling(in the lathe) the knurls with a tap held in the chuck,revolving against the knurl wheel. It would greatly enhance your work to have authentic old style knurl work. You need a lathe to make the knurls and to use them.

Keep all the corners of your work sharp and crisp. do not polish them till they get rounded off. You can rub small blocky brass parts on fine abrasive paper to get them quite smooth. Get some wet or dry paper down to 2000 grit. Work down to this fine grit with slightly soapy water. You will only have to do minimal polishing after that. And,the final buffing can be done by rubbing the parts on flat wood charged with Autosol or Simichrome polish. Autosol is preferred by conservation departments in Williamburg,where I was the master toolmaker.

Look at original work that is not beat up,and see how sharp and crisp they made their parts.

I do not mean to denigrate what you have done,but I can see that you have it in you to do even better. I needed this type of advice when I was young,and simply had not thought about these type of details. This type advice was how I improved my work,though I was already a pretty decent craftsman at the time.

Go to the "Moderators at work" section and look up my brass dividing head. It was all made with a lathe and milling attachment. Look at the nice knurling. They were made with knurls I made,too. Look how crisp the edges are, Yours are mostly o.k.,except for the brass block on top of your key.

your hand craftsmanship is superb! I'll vote lathe first since that's what I did :)

Ditto +!

But as has been mentioned, which ever you get first, the other will be there alongside it as soon as you can swing it.

Back