Lathe Painting Questions.

I like electrolysis. Its slow, methodical, doesn't harm anything its not supposed too, painfree, cheap and simple.

Cheers Phil

Just don't do it to anything other than Iron and Steel, it eats it!

Dave H. (the other one)

Yea, the Electrolysis will remove the rust but will it get the paint off where it has rust sealed under it. I would have to have some way for it to get into that are first. The bad spot are being taken down with a top scrape and then wire brush and treat, then move to the next little area. This may take a while but do not have anything big enough to submerge the whole bed in at once to do the electrolysis either. Do not like oven cleaner as it has a tendency to etch the metal a bit more, And even if you cover the ways etc it seems that it will get under the edges of the tape and etch the metal.
I may be wrong. Also when I did my Band saw with rust removal, It was doing surface rust almost as fast as I was washing the stuff off.

By the way I'm looking at the harmerite paint to go on it. seems like a good choice and can stand oil etc.

Ken

Ken the electrolysis will cause the entire surface to lift. Good paint, bad paint, rust. It will all come off. You will be left with bare metal. And perhaps some bondo. It will want to surface rust very quickly. So have some rust preventer handy.
You dont need a big plastic tub. You can make a 1 off use bath out of wood and line it with heavy plastic membrane.

Cheers Phil

Back