Lathe Question: What is the better lathe? 109.20630 or the 101.07301?

The pen turning crowd like the 109 because they are cheep and are better than the small wood lathes

Mounted the lathe, bought a V belt and added a switch to the 109. Now while running the chuck spins out of line, any ideas on what the issue could be?

Last edited:
Spindle bent.common on 109,s.had a almost new one with bent spindle.mine was 1/2"x 13..made new one out of 1/2" bolt.didn't drill it..618's are much better..

I have a craftsman 109. 21280 , from what I read , made in England, I think? Has. 1-10" spindle thread.
Was given to me 5 or more years ago. Haven't tried to learn to use it. Well , It needs , a Rack gear ,
Chuck 3 and 4 jaw. May be more, having a mechinist , come look at it.
The widow who gave it to me , looked around his Shop, but could not come up with any Parts. Anyone
On here know where I might find parts for it? Westkeyser

Westkeyser,

The 109.21280 is a mystery machine. From the Sears model number, it was made by AA (Dunlap is a Sears name, like Craftsman) but in most respects is more similar to the 101.07301 than to any of the other 109 models. Except that the spindle nose threads are the same as on the Atlas 618. I believe that we have had evidence of about three machines existing, or four if you count the one shown briefly on Lathes.UK (assuming that it isn't one of the three). But we have essentially no information on it including no good photos that I can find. I have turned up no evidence that it ever appeared in a Sears catalog.

As far as finding the two chucks goes, anything that will fit the spindle nose of a 618 should also fit the 109.21280. So finding them shouldn't be any problem.

For the missing rack, you need to determine the pitch and pressure angle of the gear that meshes with it. It may be the same as used on the 618 and 101.07301 or it may not be the same. You can buy gauge sets roughly similar to thread gauges of radius gauges. My set came from McMaster, I think. Once you have ID'd the spur gear, you can buy rack material from a number of sources, including McMaster.

Back