Lathe Quill Scale

bretthl

Registered
Registered
The scale on my cheap PM1340 is wearing off. I rely on it more than that the feed dial. I am only interest in duplicating the fractional scale and would like it engraved. The length is 4" and the resolution is 1/16".

yes ...

Paint it wipe of excess while wet will fill the lines. That’s what I did to make more visible.

Have you given consideration to mounting a DRO to the the quill, can be done relatively inexpensively. I had been using the Igaging Absolute, a number of people use a modified caliper or depth gauge. Some people mount it on top, just make sure you can get to the lube holes.

Have you given consideration to mounting a DRO to the the quill, can be done relatively inexpensively. I had been using the Igaging Absolute, a number of people use a modified caliper or depth gauge. Some people mount it on top, just make sure you can get to the lube holes.

That's pretty cool but I would like to keep it simple. Just want to be able to read the quill in 6 months. This might motivate me to get a rotary table.

Paint it wipe of excess while wet will fill the lines. That’s what I did to make more visible.

I wish they were hard lines. Appears to be some sort of etching. I'll try it though as a temporary fix.

Another idea, Someone milled a small slot, just enough to press in a pocket machinist rule. Turned out nice, and quite readable.

Back