Lathe Safety Thought...".

The Liberal Arts Garage

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Often I see pictures, usually electrical switches,which lead one to reach over the lathe to
Operate them; Bad, Bad. Take the trouble to mount them at lower left hand height near the headstock. (close to where your hand is likely to be) ......BLJHB

My 9x20 had the controls mounted on the top near the back I always found it a slightly bad location.

I've mounted my new lathe controls on the wall at the tail stock end (its in a corner side wall not back wall) as thats where i stand most when using it.

Most vfd's can have more than one switch conected to the E stop input so you can mount multiple switches on bigger machines.

Stuart

Often I see pictures, usually electrical switches,which lead one to reach over the lathe to
Operate them; Bad, Bad. Take the trouble to mount them at lower left hand height near the headstock. (close to where your hand is likely to be) ......BLJHB

Same goes for milling machines too. If possible connect a emergency panic switch near the front of your machine. I've seen some that twist when pressed to the off position. Safety first

Just a little extra clarification-- if your right hand is tangled up in something, you are
Probably still able to reach the switch with your left. A big red button? Go for it!
BLJHB

Just had a little girl get her hair caught in the mini-wood lathe doing a pen project - any ideas on safety? Policy is no loose hair - tie it up/back. Now I'm mandating hairnets. Ideas, thoughts?

i would only add a small lecture from a female machinist ( there's another important project! ........BLJHB.

Back