Lathe software?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad you appreciated my response. If it was me looking at the software I would someone to tell about their experience also.

I truly wish I could have given it a positive review, but that was not our experience with it.

Thanks, I will keep looking around at the moment the machine is just sitting there not getting used. I just don't have the time to try hand-coding big jobs. I have done a few small hand-coded runs but they were very small only a few lines at most.

Lathe computer died, so I'm stuck for a while. No more Kipware testing while I get the PC sorted out.

Once it's back in business I'll ty to provide some updates - good or bad.

Spumco, that's not good to hear hope your back up and running soon. In the meantime, I gave in and bought The T and XC software and I'm not off to a good start, time will tell if it gets better.

Lathe ran off a WinXP PC, connected to another motion control PC in the back of the machine. XP PC was DOA when I got it, and I wanted a 'do-everything' setup that could have F360, internet, and run the old Emco lathe control (WinNC).

Sadly, running XP in a virtual machine under Win8.1 wasn't stable enough. Kept losing connection to the USB-connected main control panel. While the software works (I think) under Win7, the replacement computer I bought can't run Win7 due to drivers and so forth.

So I bit the bullet and bought an older Wyse Thin Client with Win7 Embedded already on it and will run the lathe from that It will have the Emco/Fanuc control software and nothing else. Newer computer will still have 8.1, F360, Kipware, and whatever else I want - but the lathe itself will now be air-gapped, using USB drive to transfer programs.

Probably safer & more stable this way.

The USB will be a better way to go. I know when I changed my miller over to just being able to plug in a USB it was so much easier.

Well, I emailed Kipware about my problem. Given the time difference, they got back fairly quickly with some ideas. That's a good start.

Well, I'm 5 days into having the KipwareT and XC software and I must say they have bent over backwoods to help me with the problems I'm having with XC they even did a new video for T using one of my parts and that helped a lot.

Unfortunately, we have hit a roadblock with XC. No one can make heads nor tails of how threading works on this lathe I have. The manual is ridiculously hard to understand and makes a Fanuc manual look like a kids book.

After 2 or 3 pages of howto, this is the code in the book they show you.

N0010 P10=2 P11=0
N0020 G00 X100 Z100
N0030 G00 X50 Z1
N0040 G86 Z50 K1 R1 I6 L5
N0050 G00 X100 Z100
N0060 M02

N0040 G86 Z50 K1 R1 I6 L5

Is there an explanation - however convoluted - of the K/R/I/L words?

What exactly is the control?

Oh, new lathe PC arrived not DOA. Maybe back in business tomorrow - fingers crossed and I can get back to trying out the Kipware stuff.

Good to hear on the PC.

My controller is a WA-31DT. Here the pages from the manual.

Attachments

• Pages from WA-31DT_ENG.pdf
    136.9 KB · Views: 5
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back