[Newbie] Lathe Speed Turning Aluminum

MLDJR

Registered
Registered
Hi guys,
I have been lurking here for a few days and decided to join the group. Glad I did! lots of info here.

Here is my newbie question. Using the formula 4 x cutting speed / Dia. I come up with a speed of 3000 rpms to turn my .30" aluminum rod I will be making hobby spacers out of. Only problem is my 1944 LeBlond Regal 13" only runs up to 750 RPM!!!

What would you guys do?

With most of our hobby equipment you can run small aluminum pieces like that at what ever is your max.

...thats a lot of lathe for a .30 rod

run it fast

I all run them at 750 RPM and not getting a nice surface finish with HSS tooling. Tried with Aluma Tap and WD40 lube. Maybe my tooling is the problem. I am doing a Side Relief 12 deg, End Relief 8 deg. and side rake 15 deg.

Some of the Al alloys are very sticky to machine. Make sure the tool has at least 1/32 radius and an edge that has been honed to a razor sharpness.

Decrease your feed speed and run your lathe as fast as it will go. Turn the tool so it almost is flat against the part, cutting with the side of the point. Make shallow passes as the tool can dig in at that angle.

That's what I did for years before I found out you are supposed to cut aluminum at high speed.

From one who is a slightly less a newbie:
First, welcome to the forum. The guys here are great and have helped me through many similar situations.

What cutting tool/tools are you using? Cobalt, HSS, carbide? What shape is the cutting edge? Sharp point, flat, radiused?
If you have other cutters, try them out if you haven't already done that. Make sure that whatever cutter you are using that is it SHARP!
Hone it as necessary so it it will cut you if you're not careful.
I'm still very new at this, but trial and error and this forum have brought me to a point that I'm turning out stuff I never dreamed of doing.

Best of luck
CHuck the grumpy old guy

Back