Lathe Spindle Lock

R

Robert LaLonde

Forum Guest
Register Today
I am in the process of making a couple cross drilling tools for my lathe(s). Often I have to put a pin in a round part, and drilling the side of the part while its still in the lathe with a tool in a tool holder already set on center is a lot faster than moving the part over to an angle block and putting it in a vise on the mill. If I was doing 20 identical parts that might actually be faster, because the mill could be set drill. swap, drill ... with a work stop on the table. For just one part when you add in the time to index it on the mill I think I could do it much faster on the lathe with my cross drill tool. I do a lot of one off work. Now for tiny little drill bits I can just put the lathe in low gear and stand on the foot brake. For larger drill bits it can torque the part around a little bit. I know if my drill bits where perfect... LOL.

Anyway, I'd like to setup a solid lock for the lathe spindle. The foot brake will stop the chuck. FAST, but there is a little play in it. I played with the idea of adding an indexing plate to the spindle, but I'm not sure how I would tackle it. Its got a D1-5 plate on it, and I really like that. I don't want to mess it up. I use it all the time to swap chucks or faceplates.

I will be watching. I have been trying to come up with a simple solution for a long time. I can make a simple lock but it would always lock in the same place and i need it to lock in different places depending on what I am doing. This is the part I can't work out.

I will be watching. I have been trying to come up with a simple solution for a long time. I can make a simple lock but it would always lock in the same place and i need it to lock in different places depending on what I am doing. This is the part I can't work out.

In your case an indexing plate would be the way to go. I don't care if mine locks in the same place every time. Its just to drill a hole for a pin or a grub screw usually.

I kept thinking anything I did I wanted to stay with the spindle. Not with the chuck or adapter plate for the chuck. I'll have to indicate it to see if its "good enough," but I got it. I've been wanting to make a spider for the outboard end of the spindle for a while now. It would be dead easy to add a simple locking pin to that. Makes a spider dual purpose... and if I machine it with that in mind it would be pretty easy to add a flange for a removable indexing plate as well. Now I don't see me much indexing on the lathe (except for the spider (LOL)), but why not make it multiple use. I don't have to actually make the indexing plates. Just make the spider to accommodate them if I need them. Then... that leaves me having to indicate the back end of the spindle to see if its good enough for that.

~~~~

Well I indicated in the outboard end of the spindle. Inside is pretty rough. Outside varies by about .0014-.0016 depending on where I se the indicator. While not great the outside would have to be my reference surface. Well, its good enough for a spider and a spindle lock anyway.

Back