Lathe Spindle Part Stop

I'm still missing how it's supposed to work. After re-reading, I think part of my problem is not knowing what is being refered to as the spindle. I guess I need to learn some more terminology.

The lathe spindle is the main shaft in the head of the lathe. They typically are hollow, and on older lathes are usually threaded for attachment of a chuck or faceplate.

Let's assume you were going to use the stop to make a run of identical parts in the lathe. First, you would mount the chuck to the spindle. Next, open the jaws far enough that you can place the stop into the end of the spindle. The stop will also have a piece of threaded rod in it, locked in place with a jamb nut. You place a piece of stock into the chuck until it hits the stop, then tighten the chuck.

Next, you make your first part, let's say you are just cutting simple pieces of round rod, all the same length, and not doing anything else to them during this operation. Once the saddle is set to the correct spot to cut the first piece to the correct length, the saddle is locked in place. Now, each piece you cut off in the chuck will be the same length.

I hope that clears it up a bit. If not, let us know and we'll add pics or something so that you can get a good idea of how this works.

I would drill and tap so you can put different links bolts in it we use these at work

Handy for those of us cutting .223 brass down to 300 Blackout. :cocksure:

Tom

Back