Lathe Startup Noise

Lucky Liverider

Registered
Registered
I have this tapping or rattle noise for the first 3 seconds on startup and then smooth as silk. I thought it may be the chuck screws moving topping out so I removed the chuck and put my head a bit closer and it sounds like gear chatter. It consistent in all gears with regards to duration and db. Thoughts?

View attachment 20190720_000518.mp4

What is the lathe? Wonder if its using a vfd and might be the contactors but do sound quite loud for that. Watch them on startup.

Last edited:
Lathe is a Eisen 1440E, basically the same as a PM 1440GT, the VFD is located in a cabinet 5' away from the lath, not contractors.

Thought it was an Eisen. i have the Eisen 1440 ge. Been a great machine and company!
I am not actually talking about the vfd itself.
I am referring to the lathe contactors the vfd control on your lathe.
I don t think it is gear related.
I run mine through a Yaskawa v1000. I am no vfd guru but have been trying for the past few years to get a grasp on it.
However I have a pretty good ear.
Not the same scenario but it sounds like your vfd checking out like it does when I stomp on my foot brake without being properly set up with the dual pole switch for the vfd to communicate for braking.
Possibly you need to set up your soft start as the initial ramp is too fast for the vfd and checks out like mine does initially. Different scenarios but maybe vfd sees a need for the same action for its own safety?

Had the same issue with a 1440GT that I worked on, the right shift lever when facing the machine was missing a spring and ball that fits under the handle. Drive out the handle retaining pin with a punch that holds the handle on, go to Ace hardware or similar get a spring to fit in the hole along with a ball bearing. You want the spring to be longer (you can also use a spring from a pen) than the hole in the handle so it all compresses when putting the handle back on. Use some cardboard or a thin piece of metal to hold everything in place when sliding the handle back on the shaft. W/O the spring/ball the shift lever/fork rattles on start-up, the difference before and after was significant.

Last edited:
Had the same issue with a 1440GT that I worked on, the right shift lever when facing the machine was missing a spring and ball that fits under the handle. Drive out the handle retaining pin with a punch that holds the handle on, go to Ace hardware or similar get a spring to fit in the hole along with a ball bearing. You want the spring to be longer (you can also use a spring from a pen) than the hole in the handle so it all compresses when putting the handle back on. Use some cardboard or a thin piece of metal to hold everything in place when sliding the handle back on the shaft. W/O the spring/ball the shift lever/fork rattles on start-up, the difference before and after was significant.

View attachment 298743
mksj,

You were correct, mine however did have the spring and bearings but get this, both the left and right levers had 2 bearings and the right lever's spring was compressed to a point that there was little to no pressure into the flange plate. I decompressed the spring and installed both bearings as done on the left lever and now I had to push the levers on while reinstalling the roll pins (wish I had 3 hands). Still had minor rattle with the chuck off so I reinstalled the chuck and the difference is substantial. Still a little rattle is low end gears but nothing like before.

Thanks again Mark, your experience with these machines is much appreciated...

Thought it was an Eisen. i have the Eisen 1440 ge. Been a great machine and company!
I am not actually talking about the vfd itself.
I am referring to the lathe contactors the vfd control on your lathe.
I don t think it is gear related.
I run mine through a Yaskawa v1000. I am no vfd guru but have been trying for the past few years to get a grasp on it.
However I have a pretty good ear.
Not the same scenario but it sounds like your vfd checking out like it does when I stomp on my foot brake without being properly set up with the dual pole switch for the vfd to communicate for braking.
Possibly you need to set up your soft start as the initial ramp is too fast for the vfd and checks out like mine does initially. Different scenarios but maybe vfd sees a need for the same action for its own safety?
Thanks Mark, I checked all the VFD programing and still need to play with it a bit, mksj said he had the same issue and I was able to reduce the rattle substantially

Thanks for your input, how do you like the 1440 ge? I too like the company and Jason there has been very helpful. Have you rreached out to him with you issue? I sent him my video as well.

mksj,

You were correct, mine however did have the spring and bearings but get this, both the left and right levers had 2 bearings and the right lever's spring was compressed to a point that there was little to no pressure into the flange plate. I decompressed the spring and installed both bearings as done on the left lever and now I had to push the levers on while reinstalling the roll pins (wish I had 3 hands). Still had minor rattle with the chuck off so I reinstalled the chuck and the difference is substantial. Still a little rattle is low end gears but nothing like before.

Thanks again Mark, your experience with these machines is much appreciated...
Update,

Adjusted WJ200 parameter F002 from 3 to 7, noise is now completely gone.

Thanks Mark, I checked all the VFD programing and still need to play with it a bit, mksj said he had the same issue and I was able to reduce the rattle substantially

Thanks for your input, how do you like the 1440 ge? I too like the company and Jason there has been very helpful. Have you rreached out to him with you issue? I sent him my video as well.

Adjusted WJ200 parameter F002 (Acceleration Time) from 3 to 7, noise is now completely gone.

The machine has been rock solid. Parts two inch stainlesss without a glitch and thats with hss. Feel its the lifer I was hoping for. Opened up the gearboxes and such to have a look recently on it s third fluid change and gears and shift forks all looked like they were new after a few years. It s really just a matter of getting set up to use the brake with the vfd. Money money money is the only reason. I know and miss not having a funtioning brake but for now the money needs to go elsewhere. I would need an electrician and the parts which arent too expensive.
Right now it s about being capable and tooling and such get priority over something like having my brake set up. Yes I know it s a safety thing too, Believe me that and the speed pot are something I look forward too but I am over fifty and old school in a sense so happy the lathe is running and with speeds from 50-2000 quite content. I know the vfd is under utilized at the moment.
Eisen are true professionals and will continue to get my busininess. Not only do they sell machines but tooling and spare parts for other manufacturs. Of all the salesman I have ever spoken to ever have never even come close to Jason. He had an answer for everything and not just there machines but knew every competitors machine inside and out. Never once did he refer me to a manual. It was stored knowledge. Absolutely Awesome!

Back