Lathe stop

tjb

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I saw a post some time back where someone made a 'lathe stop' (?) that mounted to the back of the tool post. Best of my recollection, it had a pair of roller bearings that rested against the work. Its purpose was to keep the piece from flexing during tooling. Anybody remember seeing this and can direct me to it?

Regards,
Terry

Was it something like this for turning long thin work?follow5.jpg

Reactions: tjb
That's not the one I saw, but it's the same idea. Did you make it?

P.S.: What kind of lathe is that?

Was it something like this for turning long thin work?View attachment 234935
Sorry if I'm doing this wrong. Not too sure my original answer made it to you, so here goes again:

That's not the one I saw, but it's the same idea. Did you make it?

And the P.S.:
P.S.: What kind of lathe is that? A Harrison?

Terry: First, welcome to H-M! You've got a neat name, I like it!! ;)

Second, don't worry, you are doing it correctly, but tozguy hasn't seen your reply yet as he is currently off line. Once he sees it, he will respond. He is a very active member here, so you can count on getting a response from him when he logs in again. I cannot answer for him as to what kind of lathe that is, but I would bet that the tool is shop made. I just don't know if tozguy made it himself or not.

Do you mean a follower rest which supports the back of the work. A thread some weeks ago where a fellow needed a follower rest for his Asian lathe and did the plans. Someone posted a picture of a follower rest mount in an Aloris Double Tool Holder. I have failed in my searches to find this thread.

Welcome to the site, Harrison lathes, very nice machines . Wish I had a couple extra grand for one near me for sale. I like them YUPP.

Do you mean a follower rest which supports the back of the work. A thread some weeks ago where a fellow needed a follower rest for his Asian lathe and did the plans. Someone posted a picture of a follower rest mount in an Aloris Double Tool Holder. I have failed in my searches to find this thread.
Thanks for answering, Dave.

That sounds like it. (Pardon my poor labeling.) I seem to remember the photo in the Aloris tool holder as well. Hopefully, someone will be able to locate it for us.

Terry

Back