[4]

Lathe Tailstock Sliding Tap/Die Holder

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

JPigg55

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
With all the threading I've been doing of late, I'm wanting to buy a threading tool for my machines.
Both my lathe tailstock and milling machine are MT2 tapers. I found this one:

http://www.neilsniche.com/lathe-tailstock-tap-die-holder.html

I was wondering if anyone else had one of these and your opinion of it.
Any other recommendations would be appreciated too.

coffmajt

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
With all the threading I've been doing of late, I'm wanting to buy a threading tool for my machines.

I made a die holder for both round and hex for my south bend lathe, and it works just fine. For taps I just use a drill chuck in the tailstock with the tailstock unlocked to the bed -- Jack

mksj

Active User
I purchased one those for a MT3 tailstock. It works well, but with a few considerations. Overall it is well made and a reasonable price, but I ended up modifying mine quite a bit. The die holders are specific for round dies so if you have any other type, most likely they will not fit. I ended up making several new die holders. The tap holders 0-1/4" and 1/4-1/2" are convenient and good quality (they now offer a 1/2-3/4"), if you were to make your own, probably would need to buy some T taps and remachine them. I did not care for the provided single tap handle, it is long as to rest against the carriage for power tapping. I drilled and tapped two hole and added a T handle that clears the carriage. I also made my own guide/hoder that fits into a chuck and only uses the tap heads, which I also use in my mill. It uses the same tap and die heads.

So overall a good starting point, but may need a bit of modification to suit your needs. Now that I am a bit more proficient at the lathe, I would probably make my own, but it is nice quality and reasonable for what is offered.
Mark

Additional dies through 1.5", additional T handle holder with guide rod that fits into a chuck. It use the tap heads and dies.
20170708_171240.jpg

Added a T handles to the stock setup, works very nicely for manual tapping.
20170708_171430.jpg

Machined a smaller T handle that fits into the chuck, uses either tap head or dies, also works well in the mill
20170708_171325.jpg
Large 1.5" die holder that fits the MT3 guide rod.
20170708_171647.jpg

wawoodman

himself, himself
Making a set of those was one of the first things I did on my lathe. It was a great feeling!

Hozzie

H-M Supporter - Gold Member

I have that exact one. Works well and I am happy with it.

mikey

Active User
I agree with the others - this is a good DIY project if you're so inclined. Simple turning, knurling, boring or reaming and taper turning. You'll learn a lot on this one.

D

Deleted member 43583

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
I have a Neils Niche set.

The tap holders appear to be low end from China.

My view is the set is a little rough in terms of finish but it functions well and provides a base to move forward with. I have the stock in hand to make some additional die holders as needed. I will likely replace the tap holders as the aggravation of using them increases each time I pull them out.

As Mark pointed out, it is a good starting point. Keep your expectations in check.

ddickey

I made my own too and it works very well. I can use round or hex dies.

Creativechipper

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
I am thinking of making one of these, any pictures or drawings of the ones you all made?
Things you like or would change now after using it for a while?

Thanks

ddickey

Round or hex dies?

Creativechipper

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
Round with lil half cuts all the way around Blue point TD2400 old school set.

bill70j

I am thinking of making one of these, any pictures or drawings of the ones you all made?
Things you like or would change now after using it for a while?

Thanks
I built one for round and hex dies also. Works as expected.

YouTube creator Halligan142 did a 3-part series on making one of these. It's worth a view, in my opinion. He gives dimensions.

coffmajt

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Here is a die holder for both round and hex The shaft it slides on has a mt2 end and is 8 inches long x 5/8 diameter. The holder made from 1 1/2 inch diameter cold rolled and is 3 inches long.

Attachments

DiscoDan

I have one of Neil's setups. I used it twice tonight, once on a practice piece and and again to fix the threaded handle that I broke the threaded part off of. Neil gave me ample warning by phone that you can only thread so far before you bottom out in the die holder but my feeble mind forgot. So the tool came in handy to fix itself. I may have to try and make holders for my hex dies. Happy overall and Neil has been great.

mcdanlj

Registered
YouTube creator Halligan142 did a 3-part series on making one of these. It's worth a view, in my opinion. He gives dimensions.
Here's the watchlist to make it easier to find...

[6]
[5] [7]