Lathe Tailstock Sliding Tap/Die Holder

With all the threading I've been doing of late, I'm wanting to buy a threading tool for my machines.
Both my lathe tailstock and milling machine are MT2 tapers. I found this one:

http://www.neilsniche.com/lathe-tailstock-tap-die-holder.html

I was wondering if anyone else had one of these and your opinion of it.
Any other recommendations would be appreciated too.
I made a die holder for both round and hex for my south bend lathe, and it works just fine. For taps I just use a drill chuck in the tailstock with the tailstock unlocked to the bed -- Jack

I purchased one those for a MT3 tailstock. It works well, but with a few considerations. Overall it is well made and a reasonable price, but I ended up modifying mine quite a bit. The die holders are specific for round dies so if you have any other type, most likely they will not fit. I ended up making several new die holders. The tap holders 0-1/4" and 1/4-1/2" are convenient and good quality (they now offer a 1/2-3/4"), if you were to make your own, probably would need to buy some T taps and remachine them. I did not care for the provided single tap handle, it is long as to rest against the carriage for power tapping. I drilled and tapped two hole and added a T handle that clears the carriage. I also made my own guide/hoder that fits into a chuck and only uses the tap heads, which I also use in my mill. It uses the same tap and die heads.

So overall a good starting point, but may need a bit of modification to suit your needs. Now that I am a bit more proficient at the lathe, I would probably make my own, but it is nice quality and reasonable for what is offered.
Mark

Additional dies through 1.5", additional T handle holder with guide rod that fits into a chuck. It use the tap heads and dies.
20170708_171240.jpg

Added a T handles to the stock setup, works very nicely for manual tapping.
20170708_171430.jpg

Machined a smaller T handle that fits into the chuck, uses either tap head or dies, also works well in the mill
20170708_171325.jpg
Large 1.5" die holder that fits the MT3 guide rod.
20170708_171647.jpg

With all the threading I've been doing of late, I'm wanting to buy a threading tool for my machines.
Both my lathe tailstock and milling machine are MT2 tapers. I found this one:

http://www.neilsniche.com/lathe-tailstock-tap-die-holder.html

I was wondering if anyone else had one of these and your opinion of it.
Any other recommendations would be appreciated too.

I have that exact one. Works well and I am happy with it.

I agree with the others - this is a good DIY project if you're so inclined. Simple turning, knurling, boring or reaming and taper turning. You'll learn a lot on this one.

I have a Neils Niche set.

The tap holders appear to be low end from China.

My view is the set is a little rough in terms of finish but it functions well and provides a base to move forward with. I have the stock in hand to make some additional die holders as needed. I will likely replace the tap holders as the aggravation of using them increases each time I pull them out.

As Mark pointed out, it is a good starting point. Keep your expectations in check.

I made my own too and it works very well. I can use round or hex dies.

I am thinking of making one of these, any pictures or drawings of the ones you all made?
Things you like or would change now after using it for a while?

Thanks

Back