Lathe Threading Set Up

I've seen this done. Looks like a good technique. I'm not sure if it is. I know for odd pitch you can only engage the lead screw in two spots on the thread dial. I'll have to check.

I don't think you said what brand/model the lathe is. I'd like to know:). Gear train looks similar to an Atlas I had.
Aaron

It's an Acra-Turn. I believe it was made in 2000. I have no manual for it so learning as I go along. No Atlas but it seems surprising of somewhat good quality.

My lead screw is 6 threads per inch.

Could we also see a picture of the shift dials or levers?

Thread chasing dial engagement rules for English pitch threads. Even # threads you can engage half-nut on any line. Odd # threads you can engage on any numbered line . Half pitch threads use number 1 or 3 line.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Thread chasing dial engagement rules for English pitch threads. Even # threads you can engage half-nut on any line. Odd # threads you can engage on any numbered line . Half pitch threads use number 1 or 3 line.

My dial has no numbers but lines at noon and six o'clock. I've found on odd thread these are the only places I can engage. On even threads It seems like I can engage anywhere, even between divisions and still the roots/threads line up. I have not officially made any threads yet. I mean non that looked nice or worked. Used a pen to mark and this is what I have come up with so far. Have not tried this with metric yet.

The lines at noon and 6 represents the 1 an 3 . Old school way I was taught always use #1 and you'll be safe.

Thanks guys for the reply's. I think I have it figured out now. I did the test Tom suggested and determined I cut a 28 pitch. I now I knew what numbers the gears were and figured out where they were placed. I've included a pic of my change gears.
From what I can tell The large gear on the bottom is E and is coupled with C which is hidden.
The next gear up is D and is coupled with the B gear. Gear A is driven by B. The gear next to A must not be changed which would make sense as the small gear above has no adjustments. Does this sound correct?
No manual Mike. Thanks for the explanation though.

Sounds correct to me.

Thanks for the pic of the dials. Interesting lathe, hope you enjoy it.

Are there any questions left or not answered yet?

Back