Lathe Tool Grinding Models

That's his name!! I've seen another set by him that he used to teach somebody. All his work was that finely detailed... Of course, this set could be a lookalike, imitation, or one made by one of his proteges...

That’s only ~ $17 apiece. Sounds fair to me. Try and make them for that. They are around a foot long. And maybe engraved too?

Just got off the phone with the seller. They are still available. I know, $150 sounds like a lot but I'd spend an hour just cutting each one up. I think that would be a about 9 hours minimum. Knowing me...I'd spend two days on it. They are solid oak and he said they have some chips in them but they are still useful as is.

He used to teach shop at the local high school up in Northern Vermont back in the 1980s. He was a Navy machinist prior to that. He figured the models would be the easiest way to show the students how the angles should be ground.

I asked him if the angles are "theoretically" correct. He said they are based on his experience, but we then talked about all of the variations and experience that comes with changing rake angles, radii, etc.

Sounds like he wants the cash...not willing to take trades.

Found this in the back of the cutter drawer.

Length is 7 inches and the grind marks seem polished.

Looks like a model but real.

Have a lathe big enough to use it too.
8459b4a47c2807124a856d301e7a4d55.jpg
49ef3e3ec9fd47f043d7094073724828.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Nicely ground, could also be ground with a semi circulat chip breaker.

Back