Lathe tool holder bit hole angle?

One other reason not to get rid of at least the lantern tool post, rockers, etc., is that you may come across a specialty tool that only fits the lantern. Like a nicely made ball turner that I bought last year.

Well thank you all. I scrounged around all my stash and found I guess what you call a foir way turret. Problem then was its slot amd three clamping screws would only accept an inch and an eighth tool holder, while my 20 or so antique tool holders are all just shy of an inch and a half. I milled one of the four sides to 1.520" and the horizontal tool holder with a factory ground carbide 3/8" bit is dead nuts on the work's centerline. Yes, there is joy in North Carolina tonight. Thanks again yo'all.

My initial thought was the same as Kernbigo's. Do you have the rocker for your lantern tool post? If so you shouldn't have any trouble setting the Armstrong style HSS bit holder level allowing the built in angle of the holder set your top rake. Either that or the Lantern style tool post is not the correct size for your lathe.

You may have the rocker in a pile of parts and didn't think it was of any importance or what it was for. I just took a quick look at eBay and saw that more than half the lantern tool posts being sold didn't have the required rocker. They are often separated from the tool post.

I see that you have found a 4-way post to use, and that will get you making chips. I've always preferred the lantern over the 4-way and now a QCTP over the lantern.

I was always told the only stupid question is the one not asked, and your question is neither stupid or in any way "kindergarten level"

The mounting hole in my carriage for the lantern limits the diameter of the lantern body, my lantern looks to me like its probably for a smaller lathe. I had considered making a longer lantern body to gain tool holder height, but had not done that because my latest acquisitions of a couple hundred dollars worth of antique Armstrong tool holders are both too wide and too tall to fit through the slot in my lantern. Yeah, now I know (thanks to you guys) I could have bought a "B" or "C" series quick change holder.

The "tuition to the school of hard knocks just has to be paid" is all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By the way, no one talks well of the Harbor Freight stuff, but it was within the budget, whereas a good lathe would not have been doable. I did a lathe job for my farmer buddy that proved to me the cheapoo lathe was capable of better work than my skill level. I cut a full 40" piece of 2" CRS down to 1 1/2", and only had two thousands taper from headstock to tailstock. I could probably loosen the tail stock and move it over, but its questionable whether I could get more dimension accuracy (and probably lose what I have now).

That 40" piece was cut several Summers ago and was probably not down to 1 1/2" (which could have been bought), but was to some size to become an spindle replacement for a piece of farm equipment, that only had to be accurate to about an 1/8"

The 4-way Turret tool holder that I was thinking of would have held your 3/8" or 1/2" square cutters directly (just as the AXA or BXA holders do). However, no reason that someone couldn't have built one to hold the Armstrong style cutter holders. I've just never actually seen one.

I am calling it a turret. Not necessarily the correct terminology. Here is a dark photo. Any way, it works and I can use the gang of Armstrong tool holders. By the way, after reading about speeds and feeds, I tried different speeds and got some really nice (to me) finishes. Who knew?IMG_1494.JPG

Does your tool bit sit on spindle centerline with that set up?

Back