Lathe tools

vimes1984

Registered
Registered
Hello everyone,
I have just purchased and my brand new to me mini lathe has arrived, it has come with a selection of tools, of which I know nothing.
I've tried reading up a little about it but I'm still lost regarding which tool is used for what.
I'm attaching an image with all of the tools laid out separated by left and right with a few in the middle I'm not sure about...

Could someone tell me which tool is for what?
IMG_20181008_145849.jpg

thanks that did help I ended up figureing out some where marked and googling it :D

Just my 2 cents. You may want to learn how to grind quality HSS.
My experience with those type of lathe tools made me look like I had no idea what I was doing. Once I began to understand and practice grinding my own HSS tooling, I have had much better results in finish quality.
IMHO of course.

@Janderso I already have my mind on learning that BUT one step at a time :D I litterally just turned my first lathe on less than 48 hr's ago :D

Since you'll need them for HSS anyway, you might try getting a couple diamond hones and use them to sharpen up those brazed carbide tools a bit. Sharper is better for little machines.

Download a free copy of South Bend "How to run a lathe". It's geared for older, belt driven lathes, but the basic information in it remains the same regardless of the vintage of machine.

Ted

Back