Lathe tools

@Janderso And everyone, thank you so much! I've finally ordered some HSS blanks and a grinding wheel :D
and I've been watching a few videos on rake angles and HSS girding in general, I'm going to give it a bash!
Also this hobby is becoming expensive ;) I hope I can make my wife something nice...

This is a great thread: a number of cutting tools and tool holders came with my Logan 820. I don't yet have a bench grinder or a green wheel, but will get one next weekend. What is a good starter set of bits to get? Can you point me to one? The old ones I have are great but they're pretty well ground into strange shapes. I'd like to start easy, then figure out how to sharpen them and go from there.
TIA

Tim

Looks like we're in pretty much the same place ... just getting started. So you're going to grind your own right off the bat? I have quite a few pieces, but think it might be better for me to get a pre-cut set and start there. That's what I'm looking for.
Tim

Tim, as I recall, you have a Logan 10x24, right? Nice lathe but a little light and I suspect your top speed is probably less than 1800 rpm. I also recall you will mostly be turning smaller work pieces. Given these conditions - light lathe, low speeds, small work pieces - carbide is not going to be the best tooling choice for you, either brazed or inserted carbide. Yes, it will cut but you are far better off learning to grind and use HSS on that lathe and for your intended purpose.

Another option, especially if you have an aversion to grinding tools for some reason, are the HSS inserted tools from AR Warner. Works just like carbide tools, with similar inserts and geometry. I own them, I like them and they will work well on your lathe and for your purposes. However, a good HSS tool will still outperform them.

My advice is to learn to grind HSS tools. They are the tools your lathe was intended to be used with.

Mikey,
yes, that's the route I'll take, for sure. It makes so much sense, and I do want to learn to grind myself. Buying a bench grinder next weekend. I'll need a green wheel, too, correct?
Also, is there are decent inexpensive starter set of bits you'd recommend? Both to get started with and to show me what the right angles look like?

The advice is appreciated, here and on the other questions.
Tim

I suggest you do some reading before you buy any equipment. There are a lot of videos on Youtube about tool grinding, too.

I wrote a few things that might help get you started. Read this one and at the end of that first post you will see some links to some other material that will help you to understand tool geometry: https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/how-to-grind-a-hss-turning-tool.52581/

Then have a look at this thread: https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/models-for-grinding-hss-lathe-tools.62111/. We had a huge discussion about tool grinding and stuff. We also made up some model tools that you can look at to see what the tool angles look like. To get a set in your hands, PM @Z2V and he'll hook you up. Do some reading and give it a try. Post questions and pics to that thread and we'll give you a hand. Lot of the guys are quite good at it and can help you fine tune your efforts. I will also help.

You do not need a green wheel unless you intend to grind brazed carbide tooling. If you wish to use a bench grinder for tool grinding, standard AO wheels will work for HSS. Better yet, look into CBN wheels that are specifically made to grind HSS; expensive but a much better option. Then again, you might consider a belt sander for tool grinding; works pretty good.

Also, is there are decent inexpensive starter set of bits you'd recommend? Both to get started with and to show me what the right angles look like?

The advice is appreciated, here and on the other questions.
Tim

Grizzly sells a set of HSS tools already ground for right hand, left hand, etc. I bought those to use and learn about how to grind tools.

Back