Lathe Turret Tool Posts vs. QCTP

Headrc

Registered
Registered
I certainly see advantages in QCTP's and have been thinking heavily about a Multifix type for my Logan 12" Lathe. But .....since I see shop built as well as used Turret type tool posts for a lot cheaper ..... I have to ask ...for the Hobby Machinist that may not be using his lathe everyday and may not be doing a lot of repetitive work ....would a Turret Type tool post answer the need to switch between different types of tools while working on a project? It could mean more $$ for other wants and needs. It looks used turret type can be bought for less than $100 ....and if you build one it is even cheaper. Any thoughts are appreciated from this great site.

you can certainly use a turret post for the rest of your life, it will perform as intended and you may be happy with it.
QC toolholders are really nice to switch between many tools

for example you are going to make a simple bushing
you will need a tool to cut the od
you will need a tool to bore the id
you will need a tool to chamfer the ends
you will need a tool to part the bushing off
if you can attach these tools to the turret toolpost, you are in great shape, and you won't need anything else

but,

if you need more intricate turnings, obviously you will need to switch out more tools.
that's where the advantage of QC toolholders is.

another problem with turret posts is the height of the tool is not adjustable without shims or grinding the tool to the correct center height
this could prove disastrous if you can't get the tool close to center.
if you can't get the tool on center, your work will suffer the consequences
the QC toolholders are fully adjustable for height,
so using small HSS blanks , insert, or cemented carbide tools of different sizes, is very quick and easy.
not so much with the turret post

given the price of around $125, there are many import QC toolholders on the market
i got them on 3 lathes (one wedge type, 2 piston type)
i interchange the toolholders between lathes when necessary

here is a starter set (import, like i have)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AXA-Piston...667166?hash=item3f699a6a9e:g:1PIAAOSwwbdWOImw

you'll pay almost as much for a turret holder,
but i think you may be at a disadvantage with the turret.

one other advantage of the QC AXA toolholders, you can get a holder that will take up to 5/8" tooling :grin:

good luck which ever you decide!

Last edited:
Thanks ...that certainly is cheap alternative ...although on this type of post I have read all kinds of advise but about not going with a piston type. Do you ...or anybody see an advantage to having both the turret and QTCP? I cannot imagine why ...but if there was I might pursue to turret first ...maybe even just fab one to improve my machining skills. But if not then time is money ....

Thanks ...that certainly is cheap alternative ...although on this type of post I have read all kinds of advise but about not going with a piston type. Do you ...or anybody see an advantage to having both the turret and QTCP? I cannot imagine why ...but if there was I might pursue to turret first ...maybe even just fab one to improve my machining skills. But if not then time is money ....
i had the same questions awhile ago,
i replaced my turret post with a QC AXA and sold the turret to buy more AXA holders!
the piston type is just fine
i have pushed the piston type and the wedge type hard.
i have not noticed the difference in either one to be honest
i'd buy the AXA post type set and never look back! ;)

Both the piston and the wedge types work fine. The wedge type is touted as repeating better, but I am not so sure that is true or that it matters much for the vast majority of jobs. I would not pay significant extra money to have the wedge type, which is said to be better. Mine is the wedge type, a Phase II. As for quality, all the imports seem to have both their good and bad ones. The really good ones are the Aloris brand ones, but $$$ and not so much better performance given the price difference.

The turret type posts (also called 4-way) are very good for production work, where you keep making a lot of the same parts. They are quite rigid. However, they are much slower to set up for a new operation. I still have the 4 way tool post that came with my lathe, kept it in case I do a production job, but after a bunch of years have not put it back on once.

I still have the 4 way tool post that came with my lathe
after a bunch of years have not put it back on once.

Agreed. What little time I have spent on my two lathes, the QCTP seems the only way to go. The 4 way on the lathe at work is constantly being fiddled with. No such thing as a "production" job, and the right tool is NEVER in the toolpost.

Thanks guys. Yet another question ...what do you think is the right number of holders for a hobby machinist ....meaning they all get used and maybe once in a while you are thinking you might just one more. I have seen guys say they have 30 tool holders. I am also a guitar player ...and well I have more guitars then I ever play! Trying not to go that same way here with this new adventure.

i would consider "the set" QC toolpost and the 5 basic holders it comes with + 2 oversize 5/8" toolholders
with that set up you could do a majority of things, without overdoing it

Back