Lathe Turret Tool Posts vs. QCTP

I have my Dumore set up on my lathe right now. I set it up yesterday to grind the point off of a lathe live center. Took hours to set it up, as always. It is ready to go, just need to wait for a friend to come over with a collet that will fit the 15mm shank of the center.

Setting tool height is very quick, especially if you have some sort of gauge to set with.
I know I have stated this before, in one discussion or another, sorry to repeat. Joe Pie on YouTube has a GREAT method of setting tools to the correct height. He builds a post/tool/gauge that sits on the ways, and gives you a tactile, feel sort of measure that takes your eyeball out of the mix. If built with care, this tool and your setting will be within one or two thou. Easy to build, easy to use, and foolproof. It sure did make a difference in my ability to wring performance from my floppy old Atlas/Craftsman. Built one very first thing when I upgraded to the Birmingham I currently have. I simply cannot overstate how helpful this has been for me, with possibly the most critical aspects of lathe setup:big grin:.

I built one of [Joe Pie's height gauge] years ago, and I have to say it is very easy to get within .001 of center without any worry or fuss.

Durmore TPG's on ebay can be had for $200 for a small one if you are patient.

There's an "United States Electrical Tool Co" fro what looks like the 1920s or 1930s on ebay. Might be risky if the bearings are pooched. (bearings weren't standardized until after WW2, as far as I've been told)

I currently use a four way. Once I have set my tools set I keep the shims and tool with an elastic if removed from the post. I ll set my tools up in the four way before a job is done and simply index to the tool needed. Super fast. I don t need a special chamfer tool and just change the toolpost setting for chamfering and facing for example. This works for me but I will be purchasing A Dorian Qctp at some point. There is too much ahead of it in importance at the moment to shell out that kind of money now. I don t want an import and feel it will improve my ability to use my lathe to its full capacity. A 5hp. 14-40 lathe. And yes I do think it will save time on occasion when i need to use a tool that won t fit in at the same time as the other tools say a long boring bar for example. I Think the Qctp is a valuable pc. It s a luxury at the moment for me.

I guess I could - it could be #xxxx on my to-do list... I could get around to it in about 20 or so years!

Seriously, I would like a Dunmore or eqivalent, as they are very high quality and make a nice finish.

I totally understand the "to do list", and the desire for high quality tools.
I have looked at them on CL and drooled too many times.

Tool post grinders can be called upon to turn grinding wheels from less than 1/8" diameter to more than 4" diameter. It takes a wide spindle speed range to do that, and a spindle capable of very high and much lower speeds. Most home built, and many commercial built tool post grinders do not really have the capability to properly do a wide range of work. My Dumore 44-020 has the capability to turn wheels from 1/8" to 3", and has spindle speeds from 6,600 to 38,500 rpm, and weighs 35 pounds, but is still somewhat short on having good rigidity for heavier work. Some of that comes from the setup on the lathe tool post, and some from the fact that the whole concept of a tool post grinder attachment does not really make for a rigid setup. It is definitely nowhere ckose to being equal to a cylindrical grinder. It is, however, useful.

My prob is that even if I got a cylindrical grinder free, there's just no room for it in my shop. I have a few projects that need an ID grind coming up, and a TPG would be adequate for them...

Tool post grinders can be called upon to turn grinding wheels from less than 1/8" diameter to more than 4" diameter. It takes a wide spindle speed range to do that, and a spindle capable of very high and much lower speeds. Most home built, and many commercial built tool post grinders do not really have the capability to properly do a wide range of work. My Dumore 44-020 has the capability to turn wheels from 1/8" to 3", and has spindle speeds from 6,600 to 38,500 rpm, and weighs 35 pounds, but is still somewhat short on having good rigidity for heavier work. Some of that comes from the setup on the lathe tool post, and some from the fact that the whole concept of a tool post grinder attachment does not really make for a rigid setup. It is definitely nowhere ckose to being equal to a cylindrical grinder. It is, however, useful.

I hope we haven't hijacked this thread, but I am enjoying the discussion because I'm learning. My experience is ultra limited.
My cobbled grinder has a 2 hp treadmill motor and the spindle is a jackshaft from a go-cart, (kids toys not even safe around here). It mounts in place on cross slide where qctp normally resides. When not on the lathe, it does double duty on a pedestal with a wire wheel on it. I plan to build a new shaft with some more precision bearings and an adapter or taper set up for interchanging grinding wheels. It will never be a Dumore but it's a fun project.

Back