Lathe Value

Wv109323

Registered
Registered
I have a chance or opportunity to purchase a Cincinnati lathe from a widow. The lathe is a 12 1/2 X48" Cinilathe 220V.
. Neither she nor I have a clue as to value. It appears in average condition and has been setting the last 8 years or so. I did not see a steady rest or a 4 jaw chuck. The garage that it is in is in such disarray that it is hard to tell much about the machine. If you were considering buying a "pig in a poke" as this what would you consider a fair value? The machine was last used about 8 years ago. AFAIK the machine is in working order.
I have no idea about the external gearing or accessories. It had a 3 jaw chuck and a tail stock.
There was also a small milling machine and a band saw. I have no idea how to value the equipment. I lean toward a flat price and who knows who comes out on top. How would others handle this situation?
The deceased was my friend and he was a borderline hoarder. It is hard to tell what one would find in cleaning out the garage and what goes with the lathe. Any thoughts are welcome.

Wv, There may be some good stuff there. But if you purchase a bunch of stuff that you have no knowledge about, what is the sense?
If she is not in a hurry to clean out, you can research the items. This will take time. Maybe you can help her sell some items and make a deal on other items for yourself (like a commission). Al.

Be honest in stating you do not know much but would like to buy some/all.

Ask what amount of money to clear out the building and that you would work with her/family to insure family stuff is set aside.

If they need space more than the money they may be downright reasonable and the missing stuff likely found.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Whatever you would feel comfortable paying is usually a good way to approach it. Since it's a friend you will probably end up paying less than market value- try to get an idea of how much wear the machines have/ any broken/missing parts
mark

my approach would be to pick the items you are interested in and decide on what you would pay for them and tell her your offer. if she thinks they are worth much more then she will look for a buyer that will pay above that amount. if she likes your bid then you are both happy. Dave

Maybe you could consider searching for a reputable machinist in your area that would give both of you a fair estimate of value. Situations like yours are usually discomforting. It's a friend, so you want to be fair or more; she wants to move the equipment, but she doesn't want to see you get stuck with junk. A third party that is a. reputable and b. knows neither of you may potentially give you both a warm-fuzzy of fair pricing.

Just a thought.

I have a chance or opportunity to purchase a Cincinnati lathe from a widow. The lathe is a 12 1/2 X48" Cinilathe 220V.
. Neither she nor I have a clue as to value. It appears in average condition and has been setting the last 8 years or so. I did not see a steady rest or a 4 jaw chuck. The garage that it is in is in such disarray that it is hard to tell much about the machine. If you were considering buying a "pig in a poke" as this what would you consider a fair value? The machine was last used about 8 years ago. AFAIK the machine is in working order.
I have no idea about the external gearing or accessories. It had a 3 jaw chuck and a tail stock.
There was also a small milling machine and a band saw. I have no idea how to value the equipment. I lean toward a flat price and who knows who comes out on top. How would others handle this situation?
The deceased was my friend and he was a borderline hoarder. It is hard to tell what one would find in cleaning out the garage and what goes with the lathe. Any thoughts are welcome.

I have a 12” Clausing in decent running shape, with QCTP that I couldn’t get a single looker when it was at $2K. I’d say $1500 for everythinG and you clean out the garage. You get any ‘good’ stuff there and she gets a clean garage.

since this thread started about 3 months ago---did you get it settled and do you have the lathe and other tools? if the deceased was your friend you must know if he used the tools or just collected tools he picked up for little or no cost. was he a hobby machinist?---so we are wondering if she got her garage cleaned out.
thanks Dave

since this thread started about 3 months ago---did you get it settled and do you have the lathe and other tools? if the deceased was your friend you must know if he used the tools or just collected tools he picked up for little or no cost. was he a hobby machinist?---so we are wondering if she got her garage cleaned out.
thanks Dave
The OP was last on here 21 Sept.

I know this is an old post but thought I would add this in case it helps anyone else.
I was sitting on my HD45 chatting to a mate when an old guy approached and said he had a motor still in its crate for that bike, would I like it?
Of course I said you betcha, how much.
He said 10 pounds. I then told him its was worth way more than that and would really be out of my price range.
He said No 10 quid, its yours, I can see you will use it.
So I did with many thanks.
I detest people who offer a stupidly cheap price for something then gloat at how they ripped the person off.
My ex boss came to work one morning boasting how he bought 25 bonsai trees from an old lady for 20 pounds because she had no idea of their worth and bragging that one alone was worth 400 pounds.
He asked me to make a cake to take to the bonsai club that night so I did.
I wrote on it in Japanese "I am a thief" He really liked it and asked what they meant. I professed ignorance stating I just found the characters in the library.
I've always hoped someone at that club could read them.

Back