Lathe Wanted Craftsman "Quick Change" Lathe, 12"

I have settled on price over the phone (even text) both buying and selling. If the buyer is more than a half hour away it is a long way to drive to find a seller that isn't open to making a deal. Sellers that are high on price and aren't willing to discuss price over the phone I just forget about and move on to the next one because they aren't worth wasting my time. When I am selling something I keep this in mind too.

$1450 on a good Atlas Lathe with a quick change box seems high but not astronomical considering what the quick change gear box goes for by itself. $750 for a 12" Atlas with a quick change in good shape sounds like the buyer is dreaming to me.

After years of looking for an affordable quick change for my 12" Atlas I found a South Bend 13" in good shape with power crossfeed as well as quick change box for $1000 and jumped. The best I ever found for a, Atlas 12" quick change gear box in serviceable shape was about $500... cheaper boxes looked pretty ratted out or assembled out of a mish-mash of pieces.

Not suggesting anyone travel to look at something where the buyer states they will not negotiate, just that actual negotiations for me go much better with actual cash on the table. I've had buyers negotiate a price over the phone and then try to go lower once they get there, or ask for terms, or trades, or other things that were neither offered or discussed.

Selling stuff online can be a real pain if the buyer isn't willing to come take a look in person, I typically write those off and concentrate on folks who actually want to see what I'm selling. Even better if they bring a trailer ;)

John

I have driven 400 miles for a CL buy, but I feel at a disadvantage trying to negotiate after doing so. I won't make the drive at all if I'm not willing to pay the asking. I have walked away after driving 5 hours one way to buy a car. I agree though, that it's much easier to negotiate when they can see and smell those Benjamins.

Back