lathe

can I get a mini lathe used for 300$ that is good for training on 1-2 inch pipe??Maybe 30 inch capacity..
Cutting threads on 1-2" pipe with a mini lathe will mostly be an exercise in futility. Not enough power or rigidity. 1" perhaps, but still not without nursing it along, especially as a beginner. The pipe will want to slip in the chuck as well. It will not fit through the spindle. The threads will also not be tapered. The mini lathe can, however, help you learn how to use a lathe, and for making other parts. For threading pipe, nothing beats a pipe threading machine. Making pipe threads at home by hand with dies works pretty well, but a good, solidly mounted vise with pipe jaws, or preferably a pipe vise, is needed for 1" and larger pipe. A much larger standard machinists lathe will be more suitable for working with pipe, but is still not close to ideal for the job.

what would you buy for a used pipe threader manual or auto and what price?? the RIGID ones are 1000 new ...way too much..

what would you buy for a used pipe threader manual or auto and what price?? the RIGID ones are 1000 new ...way too much..
Sorry, I do not know much about pipe threaders, never used one, have watched them in operation a few times. Hopefully someone else can answer your question.

I've kind of been watching them on CL, they're generally $500+ depending on condition, capacity and dies. If you can get work for them, they'll make you a lot of money. You won't learn much operating one, though.

Back