Lathes made in Portugal

Galileu

Registered
Registered
Hi all,

If you are not Portuguese it's unlikely that you've ever seen these lathes; as far as I know there were 3 manufacturers of lathes and other machinery in my country: EFI (Eduardo Ferreirinha e Irmão), FRI (Francisco Ramos e Irmão) and Cegonheira.
I don't know much about their range but I have pictures of 2 lathes that exist in one workshop in the University where I used to work; the first one ia a large lathe by FRI, with foot break and motorized cross slide.
The next lathe will go on the next post.

P6144549.JPG P6144554.JPG P6144568.JPG P6144550.JPG P6144560.JPG P6144569.JPG P6144553.JPG P6144561.JPG

The next one is a more modest lathe by JRI; I don't have the specifications but I think the EFI is 12" and the JRI is a 8".

P6154571.JPG P6154576.JPG P6154572.JPG P6154579.JPG P6154573.JPG

Well I'm not Portuguese but I know a good machine when I see one. Thanks for sharing with us.

Paul

I really like those "no nonsense" cross slides. They look as solid as rocks. You said "were" made in Portugal. Are they still being made there or have they disappeared like our American machine manufacturers? Thanks for the pics, -Ron

I really like those "no nonsense" cross slides. They look as solid as rocks. You said "were" made in Portugal. Are they still being made there or have they disappeared like our American machine manufacturers? Thanks for the pics, -Ron

The company that made the first one doesn't make machinery any more; I believe they are just commercial. JRI and Cegonheira, I don't have pictures of the latter, are still in business but finding difficult, from what I read.

Best regards,
José

Sweet, Those tool holders look massive. Bet it doesn't flex and chatter like my tiny little 7X10!!! I love a great machine pic. Only problem is they spark "tool envy" and Momma hates when I get that way 'cause she knows I am about to buy another tool I "really" don't need. She tolerates it though because I never spend house funds for hobby stuff so I don't compromise any home issues. Sometimes I have to save up and whine and moan till I get there, sometimes she just kicks in the difference to shut me up. She runs my CNC plasma cutter and can weld as good as any man so she is an asset in the shop too. Makes it easy to convince her when I decide I need something, I just ask her to help and make sure it takes a while while commenting that a certain so and so would make this much easier and I could do it with out help. Most of the time she just says "well, why don't you get one then?". Gotta love them tough country girls, Huh? Have fun with those tools and post up some pics of your projects too please.
Bob

Back