Lathey Susan

Yep I agree with you all very useful idea also means you you can get the shelves closer together because there is no need to lift things over other things.

Nice place to put it! I did something similar, but it's down low (though my chucks are much smaller than yours, thus not as difficult to pick up). Supported the disk with four small fixed casters (one of which is just visible at the front). Disk pivots on a ⅜" bolt.
kHPIM4234.jpg

Reactions: rwm
hman-very nice! Followup... is I love this setup. Works like a charm.
R

Savarin -

Will you have any kind of added friction? I can't imagine that you'd want such a high magnification optical instrument to be too loose. Several years ago I built a Dobsonian scope (in a class taught by John Dobson himself!), and used polyethylene drawer glides riding on a piece of acrylic for the azimuth and on ø6" anodized aluminum rings for elevation. Stays put nicely, but quite easy to reposition.

PS - I've been watching your build posts with great interest. Absolutely beautiful work!

Reactions: rwm
Thank you john.
The top cages will be linked together with a turnbuckle and possible a spring to add resistance. It only has to move a small amount for eye separation.
They also appear to be quite stiff in vertical movement. I hope they stay that way else its back to the dobson method.

Back