Lawn Ornament

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
My neighbor asked me if I can do something to this to make it rotate in the wind. I'm talking the entire thing as the thingy on top already rotates. She also wants a vane on the back to look more a real wind mill I guess.
I have a few ideas but none are practical.
Anyone have any ideas on how to do this?

IMG_20170426_115442018.jpg

A welder?

Seriously, it looks cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cut the rod off below the washer on the bottom. Weld on a piece of pipe and stuff the remaining rod into it. Maybe if you can find a bearing ball the right size, set it on top of the rod.

You'll need something to keep it into the wind, Weld a rod, below the center of rotation, extending back at least twice the diameter of the blades with a vertical fin above and below it near the end.
You did ask for ideas.

If you have bearings to fit the rod , as the others said , mount the shaft and bearings in the pipe to go into the ground. The tail fin you could weld to a tube and mount on back of the wind mill. Or take two ft piece of sheet metal bent in a circle or semi circle and had it to the rounded arms that turn up like a tunnel but flaired or angle cut at tail. Use your imagination anything will work even plastic

What I ended up doing is cut the rod just under the washer ornamental thing towards the top. Drilled out a price of 1/2" rod I had. Welded that to the upper part and placed a 3/8" ball bearing with the lower part and that turned out really nice.
For the other I bought some thin gauge steel at Menards cut it into a tail like on a farm wind mill, ground the rod flat and spot welded it on. Unfortunately it welded right through but it's still on there. Then I took a torch to it and darkened it so it didn't look to out of place.
Thanks all for the ideas.

No ''after'' pictures? :(

I forgot.
I'll take a pic when they put up in their yard.

Back