Laziness breeds innovation

Inferno

Registered
Registered
I'm working on the attachments for the CNC build to connect the table to the rails. (Not important)

I'm making 11 of them so if I mess one up it's not a big deal.
Milling them in groups. First group is 5 of them. Second group is 6 of them.
Each set has @50 passes of the mill on the Y axis. And another 50 blind passes on the return. So 100 passes each set

I'm using a 5/8" name brand carbide mill bit at 500rpm taking 1.5mm cuts with a final pass of .5mm
I have a 4" handwheel with a 3.5" handle.
Halfway through the first set my forearm was screaming at me. It took me around 2 hours to make all the passes on the first set.
Determined to get the second set done I started out giving myself 4 hours so I can rest my arm between passes.

Side notes:
I'm using a combo machine.
My power feed on the Y-axis sucks for speed. No way would I use it. I'd still be cutting the first set after a couple days.
I have plans to add a stepper to the Y-axis so I can have a faster speed for milling.

INNOVATION

I used a temporary power feed and managed to get the second set worked out in an hour which includes a half hour making the first 12 passes plus 12 returns on the second set. So I made 38 passes, plus 38 blind returns, including a cleanup pass, in a half hour.

Wish I thought of this sooner.

20230605_203904.jpg

Halfway through the first set my forearm was screaming at me. It took me around 2 hours to make all the passes on the first set.

I figured out a way to move my shoulders back and forth and leave my arm rather straight, almost like shaking your head back and forth, slowly, but it is more of a shoulder movement than a head movement.

been there and done that years ago. Finally put a feed on my table.
my Z is still a drill to raise and lower it.

Glad you finally got there ... What took you so long?

Here's the third iteration of the design for the stepper mount.
It will be made in 2 parts so it can be adjusted since one part of the mount holds my DRO scale.

Y stepper.PNG

Can you put a cut on the return pass?
In something shallow, where I can do an easy cleanup, I would have but my quill is far from perfect so I didn't want it to get caught and climb on the return pass.

Here's the second iteration of the stepper mount. It's two pieces. There's a few adjustments needed to the hole positions.
The final won't have the countersink collars. They will be full countersink but I didn't add that in on the 3D print.
The larger open holes are where it mounts to the table. I'm not sure but I might have to add a hole to the mill table. Memory is that it only had the three holes and I want it all supported with 4 bolts.

I can't check the final position of the stepper until I get a ball screw that I will use but I'm pretty sure it's really close. I can do some disassembly to find the most accurate dimensions but that's down the road a little.

20230608_233635.jpg
20230608_233621.jpg
20230608_233648.jpg

In something shallow, where I can do an easy cleanup, I would have but my quill is far from perfect so I didn't want it to get caught and climb on the return pass.
If your width of cut is closer to the radius of the cutter you will vastly reduce any climb milling issue. Pehaps a smaller diameter cutter with more teeth will allow a cutting pass on the return.

Back