Lead Screw gear confusion

tdfguy

Registered
Registered
Hi All,

I am new here so hopefully I posting my question in the correct forum. I have a Craftsman 6 inch lathe (101.21400) and my lead screw won't turn. There is a gear in the drive gearing that I wonder whether the two gears should be one piece? On mine, they are not connected. I have attached an image pointing to the specific gear I have my question about. I did lift the image from a YouTube video and hope that's ok?

Thanks,
Don

Attachments

• LeadScrewGear.png
    LeadScrewGear.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 48
Yes, that’s the 16-32 compound gear — essentially two gears but in one piece. They must turn as one, otherwise no power will be transmitted from the idler gears to the rest of the train.

-frank

They should easy enough to find, here’s one but I’m not sure it’s still up for sale or not. I just grabbed the picture to show you.

3557C31D-E0DC-4065-9C5C-CDABAD274883.png

If you turn the chuck by hand, which of the gears in the back turn (or don't turn)? Maybe a missing key. Not a Craftsman / Logan expert, but the change gears should all be keyed to the gear on the same shaft. The gear should not be tightly meshed, but with just a tiny bit of "tokka tokka". A very technical term.

You have your tumbler gear in neutral. When the lever is in the up position the lead screw will move the carriage towards the head stock

As Frank said, that gear is one piece. If yours is in two pieces it is either broken or someone installed the wrong gear. Remove the gear and look at the back side, it should have part numbers "16" and "101" cast into it.

20191213_135628.jpg

Last edited:
Back